Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Joshua O'Leary

Default Lightdm killed during boot

On 20/06/12 12:25, MR ZenWiz wrote:

I recently upgraded my work desktop to use Xubuntu 12.04 (from Ubuntu
10.10, complete fresh install).

This last Monday when I went in to work, all the machines were off (we
had a power outage over the weekend) and I had shut mine down on
Friday.

However, when I booted the machine, lightdm was killed during the boot
and it took me a reboot and some log scoping to figure out what
happened. When I started lightdm from the console, everything went
fine.

I had to reboot again due to an update, and the same thing happened.

What would kill lightdm during startup but allow it to run thereafter?

Thanks.

MR Zenwiz

You could try to reinstall lightdm, with "apt-get install --reinstall
lightdm", as root.
If that still doesn't work, try removing it completely with "apt-get
purge lightdm", then

"apt-get install xubuntu-desktop lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter"
Also take a look at your system logs - run dmesg to view the kernel ring
buffer, look at /var/log/syslog and also /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log to
see what is causing it to fail. /var/log/xorg.0.log may also be useful.

Joshua

Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Joshua O'Leary
<joshua.oleary@btinternet.com> wrote:

> You could try to reinstall lightdm, with "apt-get install --reinstall
> lightdm", as root.
> If that still doesn't work, try removing it completely with "apt-get purge
> lightdm", then
> "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter"

I will give this a shot nect time I have to reboot anyway.

> Also take a look at your system logs - run dmesg to view the kernel ring
> buffer, look at /var/log/syslog and also /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log to see
> what is causing it to fail. /var/log/xorg.0.log may also be useful.

The only mention of lightdm in the logs is that it was killed, not by
whom or for any explicit reason. The lightdm logs show nothing.

(That was the first place I started looking for an explanation....)

I don't know if this means anything, but I also had a similar problem
in a VMWare Workstation Xubuntu VM. (It came up to the console only,
no graphics window at all.) At that time I didn't know enough to find
out why, but I was just able to install VMWS 8, and the Xubuntu VM
came up the same way. I started lightdm and voila, everything was
"normal."

Old 07-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Mark

On Jun 20, 2012 4:59 AM, "Joshua O&apos;Leary" <joshua.oleary@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 20/06/12 12:25, MR ZenWiz wrote:

>> I recently upgraded my work desktop to use Xubuntu 12.04 (from Ubuntu

>> 10.10, complete fresh install).

>> This last Monday when I went in to work, all the machines were off (we

>> had a power outage over the weekend) and I had shut mine down on

>> Friday.

>> However, when I booted the machine, lightdm was killed during the boot

>> and it took me a reboot and some log scoping to figure out what

>> happened. *When I started lightdm from the console, everything went

>> fine.

>> I had to reboot again due to an update, and the same thing happened.

>> What would kill lightdm during startup but allow it to run thereafter?

>> Thanks.

>> MR Zenwiz

> You could try to reinstall lightdm, with "apt-get install --reinstall lightdm", as root.

> If that still doesn't work, try removing it completely with "apt-get purge lightdm", then

> "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter"

> Also take a look at your system logs - run dmesg to view the kernel ring buffer, look at /var/log/syslog and also /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log to see what is causing it to fail. /var/log/xorg.0.log may also be useful.

Unfortunately none of that worked. Lightdm still gets killed during startup, even after purge & reinstall.

The logs contain nothing revealing, only that it was killed. No reason, no perp.

It also shows gdm killed by TERM - same as lightdm.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Joshua O'Leary

wrote:

> On 20/06/12 12:25, MR ZenWiz wrote:

>> I recently upgraded my work desktop to use Xubuntu
12.04 (from Ubuntu

>> 10.10, complete fresh install).

>> This last Monday when I went in to work, all the
machines were off (we

>> had a power outage over the weekend) and I had shut
mine down on

>> Friday.

>> However, when I booted the machine, lightdm was killed
during the boot

>> and it took me a reboot and some log scoping to figure
out what

>> happened. *When I started lightdm from the console,
everything went

>> fine.

>> I had to reboot again due to an update, and the same
thing happened.

>> What would kill lightdm during startup but allow it to
run thereafter?

>> Thanks.

>> MR Zenwiz

> You could try to reinstall lightdm, with "apt-get install
--reinstall lightdm", as root.

> If that still doesn't work, try removing it completely with
"apt-get purge lightdm", then

> "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop lightdm
lightdm-gtk-greeter"

> Also take a look at your system logs - run dmesg to view
the kernel ring buffer, look at /var/log/syslog and also
/var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log to see what is causing it to fail.
/var/log/xorg.0.log may also be useful.

Unfortunately none of that worked. Lightdm still gets killed
during startup, even after purge & reinstall.

The logs contain nothing revealing, only that it was killed. No
reason, no perp.

It also shows gdm killed by TERM - same as lightdm.

Is gdm installed aswell? Maybe they are starting at the same time
(would be unusual but may have happened on a corrupted system), in
which case you could try removing gdm. Also, try another display
manager such as lxdm or xdm and see if they work properly. Does
running startx from a logged in tty work?

Joshua

Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Joshua O'Leary

wrote:

> On 20/06/12 12:25, MR ZenWiz wrote:

>> I recently upgraded my work desktop to use Xubuntu
12.04 (from Ubuntu

>> 10.10, complete fresh install).

>> This last Monday when I went in to work, all the
machines were off (we

>> had a power outage over the weekend) and I had shut
mine down on

>> Friday.

>> However, when I booted the machine, lightdm was killed
during the boot

>> and it took me a reboot and some log scoping to figure
out what

>> happened. *When I started lightdm from the console,
everything went

>> fine.

>> I had to reboot again due to an update, and the same
thing happened.

>> What would kill lightdm during startup but allow it to
run thereafter?

>> Thanks.

>> MR Zenwiz

> You could try to reinstall lightdm, with "apt-get install
--reinstall lightdm", as root.

> If that still doesn't work, try removing it completely with
"apt-get purge lightdm", then

> "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop lightdm
lightdm-gtk-greeter"

> Also take a look at your system logs - run dmesg to view
the kernel ring buffer, look at /var/log/syslog and also
/var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log to see what is causing it to fail.
/var/log/xorg.0.log may also be useful.

Unfortunately none of that worked. Lightdm still gets killed
during startup, even after purge & reinstall.

The logs contain nothing revealing, only that it was killed. No
reason, no perp.

It also shows gdm killed by TERM - same as lightdm.

A workaround may be to add service lightdm restart to
/etc/rc.local, so it reloads itself on bootup.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Mark

On Jul 4, 2012 11:38 AM, "Joshua O&apos;Leary" <joshua.oleary@btinternet.com> wrote:

> A workaround may be to add service lightdm restart to /etc/rc.local, so it reloads itself on bootup.

That worked.

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 PM
MR ZenWiz

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Jul 4, 2012 11:35 AM, "Joshua O&apos;Leary" <joshua.oleary@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Is gdm installed aswell? Maybe they are starting at the same time (would be unusual but may have happened on a corrupted system), in which case you could try removing gdm.

It wasn't completely installed, but purging it did not solve the issue.

> Also, try another display manager such as lxdm or xdm and see if they work properly.

I'm not familiar with either one - would they know to bring up my xfce sessions?

I have this strange expectation that the distro should not need this kibd of alteration and/or debugging just to work more or less out of the box....* ;-)

> Does running startx from a logged in tty work?

Never tried that, but the man page leaves too much out for experimentation on my work production desktop.* Since adding the restart to my /etc/rc.local works, I'll probably leave it at that.

Klunky, but it works.

Many thanks.

MR