Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM
center post

Default cheese do not work in xubuntu 12.04

I already used Cheese in former version of Ubuntu without problems.
Now i have on my desktop 32-bits computer installed Xubuntu 12.04 and also Cheese. When i start Cheese i get only a blank screen for a while.
Following some advice on the FAQ i tried "sudo apt-get install gstramer0.10-conf" but got the answer that the newest version is already installed.

If i use Kamerka i get an image from the webcam. However the image is hazy (not clear). I think this is due to my webcam "microsoft vx1000" .
So before buying a new webcam i would have the concerned applications running.

Many thanks in advance for some help.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Ryan Gauger

I already used Cheese in former version of Ubuntu
without problems.

Now i have on my desktop 32-bits computer installed Xubuntu 12.04
and also Cheese. When i start Cheese i get only a blank screen for
a while.

Following some advice on the FAQ i tried "sudo apt-get install
gstramer0.10-conf" but got the answer that the newest version is
already installed.

If i use Kamerka i get an image from the webcam. However the image
is hazy (not clear). I think this is due to my webcam "microsoft
vx1000" .

So before buying a new webcam i would have the concerned
applications running.

Many thanks in advance for some help.

This looks a bit cheesy to me. It is probably a driver problem. Have
you searched online for drivers? Microsoft may have them on their
website. Thanks!

In Christ,

Ryan

Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Atherton

[...]

I have had Cheese working on both Xubuntu vers 11.10 & 12.04.
Cheese version used is 3.4.1. The video cam is an old Logitech Quick
Cam IM connected by USB - 046d:08d9 at /dev/video0 - resolution is
set at 640x480. However, I have not been able to get it to work in
Skype [vers 2.20.35 - Oneiric] with either 11.10 or 12.04 Xubuntu.
The video cam is recognised but a "test run" in Skype gives nothing.
Using Cheese to record me looking intently at a computer screen is
not of much use - the idea was to contact grand-children via Skype
with Linux [Windows XP - with Skype works!]. I also need help.

Atherton.