Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 AM
alex ong

Default Contemplating upgrading hardware

I am contemplating upgrading my hardware before trying out 11.10 then upgrade to 12.04 later. I have two choice both second had hardware from our hardware market.
Choice 1 : *P4 *3.0GHz 2GB memory
Choice 2 : *Core2dual, *2.8GHZ 2GB memory
I am not too sure whether 11.10 or 12.04 has all the drivers in its iso. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Much appreciated.
Retired IT professional--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Andreas Säger

I am contemplating upgrading my hardware before trying out 11.10 then upgrade to 12.04 later. I have two choice both second had hardware from our hardware market.

Choice 1 : P4 3.0GHz 2GB memory

Choice 2 : Core2dual, 2.8GHZ 2GB memory

I am not too sure whether 11.10 or 12.04 has all the drivers in its iso. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Much appreciated.

Retired IT professional

If you are a retired IT professional asking such an unspecific question
then I wanna be Don King.
Boot your machine from a CD and see. Print out some hardware diagnostics
such as lspci.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM
uteck

I installed 12.04 on a P4 system (Dell GX60) and it works if a bit
slow compared to a modern CPU. Lubuntu even runs on some P3 systems
(Dell GX50 and IBM Netvista) with 128MB ram. They slow to a crawl
when any app is started due to swapping memory, but it does work.

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Andreas Säger <villeroy@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 31.05.2012 12:19, alex ong wrote:
>>
>> I am contemplating upgrading my hardware before trying out 11.10 then
>> upgrade to 12.04 later. I have two choice both second had hardware from our
>> hardware market.
>>
>> Choice 1 : *P4 *3.0GHz 2GB memory
>>
>> Choice 2 : *Core2dual, *2.8GHZ 2GB memory
>>
>> I am not too sure whether 11.10 or 12.04 has all the drivers in its iso.
>> Can anyone enlighten me on this? Much appreciated.
>>
>> Retired IT professional
>>

> If you are a retired IT professional asking such an unspecific question then
> I wanna be Don King.
> Boot your machine from a CD and see. Print out some hardware diagnostics
> such as lspci.

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Ryan Gauger

I am contemplating upgrading my hardware before trying out
11.10 then upgrade to 12.04 later. I have two choice both
second had hardware from our hardware market.

Choice 1 : *P4 *3.0GHz 2GB memory

Choice 2 : *Core2dual, *2.8GHZ 2GB memory

I am not too sure whether 11.10 or 12.04 has all the
drivers in its iso. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Much
appreciated.

Retired IT professional

As it states in the installation slideshow, "All required drivers
are being installed as you read this." So I do not think it matters
which you buy, I do not even know if a hardware upgrade is required
for Oneiric/Persistant. Hope this helps. Thanks!

In Christ,

Ryan

Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM
bob

On Thu, 31 May 2012 18:19:09 +0800 (SGT)
alex ong <alexong2005@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:

> I am contemplating upgrading my hardware before trying out 11.10 then upgrade to 12.04 later. I have two choice both second had hardware from our hardware market.
>
> Choice 1 : *P4 *3.0GHz 2GB memory
>
> Choice 2 : *Core2dual, *2.8GHZ 2GB memory
>
> I am not too sure whether 11.10 or 12.04 has all the drivers in its iso. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Much appreciated.
>
> Retired IT professional

Certainly either processor should be sufficient to run Xubuntu 12.04 and 2 GB of RAM is plenty for most use.

Not knowing the other specs (particularly video card and, if wireless is needed the wireless chipset) it's impossible to venture a reasonable guess whether the drivers will be available. As mentioned by another commenter, the details aren't specific enough to be able to tell.