-   -   Swiss-French Keyboard in Xubuntu 12.04 (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/671395-swiss-french-keyboard-xubuntu-12-04-a.html)

TOM TOM 05-26-2012 06:44 PM

Swiss-French Keyboard in Xubuntu 12.04

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 9:25 PM, pao_drop <pao_drop@bluewin.ch> wrote:

Hello!

I am trying to install Xubuntu 12.04 on an old PC. Everything works fine, except that

I am unable to find the Swiss-french keyboard in the keyboard layout list.

Since I am living in Switzerland and speaking *- and typing- french, this is a absolute MUST for me.

The command:

setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout ch -variant fr

works fine, albeit obviously only for the current session.

This in my opinion means that the swiss-french layout IS present somewhere

in the system.

But how do I get it permanently, not being able to use the desktop application?

I have tried editing the /etc/default/keyboard file from:

XKBMODEL = "pc105"

XKBLAYOUT = "ch"

XKBVARIANT = ""

XKBOPTIONS =""

to:

XKBMODEL = "pc105"

XKBLAYOUT = "ch"

XKBVARIANT = "fr"

XKBOPTIONS =""

but to no avail!

What am I overlooking??

Regards, Pao

Hi. You have 2 options from within Settings Manager:

1. go to Session and Startup and add the setxkbmap command as an autostart app
OR
2. go to Keyboard and then Layout and try to set it up from there

pao_drop 05-26-2012 06:59 PM

wrote:

[...]

OK! Problem solved!

Instead of looking for the Swiss-french keyboard on either "Swiss"
or "French", I had to look on "German"

To us, member of the french-speaking minority, this does not appear
very palatable!

Regards,

Pao