FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Xubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default WTF: workspace switcher stopped working

I've installed xubuntu-desktop on my natty system, and have been
checking it out for a month or so. But I did a reboot today and things
are not right.

My workspace switcher shows only one workspace, even though the
settings show 8. Deleting the switcher from the panel and starting a
new one did not change this.

My application windows have no manager decorations: maximize,
minimize, or goAway. I can resize the windows by dragging the lower
right corner, but cannot move them. And just now resizing Firefox
seems to have made it crash.

I see no difference between an xfce session and an xubuntu session.
I'm not sure what difference there should be, since I was just using
the xubuntu sessions up to this.

Going back to an Ubuntu session has none of these problems.

What did I do wrong? What can I do to fix it?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default WTF: workspace switcher stopped working

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed xubuntu-desktop on my natty system, and have been
> checking it out for a month or so. But I did a reboot today and things
> are not right.
>
> My workspace switcher shows only one workspace, even though the
> settings show 8. *Deleting the switcher from the panel and starting a
> new one did not change this.
>
> My application windows have no manager decorations: maximize,
> minimize, or goAway. *I can resize the windows by dragging the lower
> right corner, but cannot move them. *And just now resizing Firefox
> seems to have made it crash.
>
> I see no difference between an xfce session and an xubuntu session.
> I'm not sure what difference there should be, since I was just using
> the xubuntu sessions up to this.
>
> Going back to an Ubuntu session has none of these problems.
>
> What did I do wrong? *What can I do to fix it?
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

I can add: in all cases when I log in, my desktop shows all the
folders in my home directory. It never did that before. I just had 3
icons: filesystem, trash and one other.

Now here's a confession:
1) I've been cleaning up my home directory. But not fooling with dotfiles.
2) I created a new user, and none of the above is true for that user.

Item 2 suggests a quick fix, but I'd still like to know what I did wrong.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 05-24-2012, 11:04 AM
TOM TOM
 
Default WTF: workspace switcher stopped working

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've installed xubuntu-desktop on my natty system, and have been

> checking it out for a month or so. But I did a reboot today and things

> are not right.

>

> My workspace switcher shows only one workspace, even though the

> settings show 8. *Deleting the switcher from the panel and starting a

> new one did not change this.

>

> My application windows have no manager decorations: maximize,

> minimize, or goAway. *I can resize the windows by dragging the lower

> right corner, but cannot move them. *And just now resizing Firefox

> seems to have made it crash.

>

> I see no difference between an xfce session and an xubuntu session.

> I'm not sure what difference there should be, since I was just using

> the xubuntu sessions up to this.

>

> Going back to an Ubuntu session has none of these problems.

>

> What did I do wrong? *What can I do to fix it?

>

> --

> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD



I can add: in all cases when I log in, my desktop shows all the

folders in my home directory. *It never did that before. *I just had 3

icons: filesystem, trash and one other.



Now here's a confession:

1) I've been cleaning up my home directory. *But not fooling with dotfiles.

2) I created a new user, and none of the above is true for that user.



Item 2 suggests a quick fix, but I'd still like to know what I did wrong.

--

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD



--

xubuntu-users mailing list

xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

From your first message it seems to me that Compiz is running.



--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Liviu Andronic
 
Default WTF: workspace switcher stopped working

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM, TOM TOM <thomasthoma@gmail.com> wrote:
> From your first message it seems to me that Compiz is running.
>
Otherwise xfwm4 is not. Try 'alt+f3' and run 'xfwm4'.

Liviu

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default WTF: workspace switcher stopped working

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM, TOM TOM <thomasthoma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> From your first message it seems to me that Compiz is running.
>>
> Otherwise xfwm4 is not. Try 'alt+f3' and run 'xfwm4'.
>
> Liviu

I wouldn't know compiz from a hole in the screen.

alt+f3 does exactly nothing.


--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Justin Jenkins
 
Default WTF: workspace switcher stopped working

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM, TOM TOM <thomasthoma@gmail.com> wrote:

>> From your first message it seems to me that Compiz is running.

>>

> Otherwise xfwm4 is not. Try 'alt+f3' and run 'xfwm4'.

>

> Liviu



I wouldn't know compiz from a hole in the screen.



alt+f3 does exactly nothing.





--

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD



--

xubuntu-users mailing list

xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users



I believe he meant Alt+F2 which should display the run dialog.
--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 05-24-2012, 04:22 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default WTF: workspace switcher stopped working

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM, TOM TOM <thomasthoma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> From your first message it seems to me that Compiz is running.
>>>
>> Otherwise xfwm4 is not. Try 'alt+f3' and run 'xfwm4'.
>>
>> Liviu
>
> I wouldn't know compiz from a hole in the screen.
>
> alt+f3 does exactly nothing.

Since there are multiple problems, varying somewhat with the type of
session, I think one plan is to create a new user and move stuff over
to it.


--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Liviu Andronic
 
Default WTF: workspace switcher stopped working

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM, TOM TOM <thomasthoma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> From your first message it seems to me that Compiz is running.
>>>>
>>> Otherwise xfwm4 is not. Try 'alt+f3' and run 'xfwm4'.
>>>
>>> Liviu
>>
>> I wouldn't know compiz from a hole in the screen.
>>
>> alt+f3 does exactly nothing.
>
> Since there are multiple problems, varying somewhat with the type of
> session, I think one plan is to create a new user and move stuff over
> to it.
>
Have fun with it.

Liviu


>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
>
> --
> xubuntu-users mailing list
> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users



--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfce4-dict#speed-reader
Do you know how to write?
http://garbl.home.comcast.net/~garbl/stylemanual/e.htm#e-mail

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default WTF: workspace switcher stopped working

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM, TOM TOM <thomasthoma@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> From your first message it seems to me that Compiz is running.
>>>>>
>>>> Otherwise xfwm4 is not. Try 'alt+f3' and run 'xfwm4'.
>>>>
>>>> Liviu
>>>
>>> I wouldn't know compiz from a hole in the screen.
>>>
>>> alt+f3 does exactly nothing.
>>
>> Since there are multiple problems, varying somewhat with the type of
>> session, I think one plan is to create a new user and move stuff over
>> to it.
>>
> Have fun with it.

Thank you. I did.

Now the odd thing is that almost all of these problems went away
before I really started to get down to it. I did start xfwm4 with
A-F2, which re-decorated my windows. I also logged out, unmounted my
home directory, and loged in. This put me in the underlying mount
point which had dotfiles from about a year ago. Things went well, and
I planned to use those dotfiles in my recovery.

I rebooted, which re-mounted my normal home directory, and now all
three session-types that I tried (Ubuntu, xfce, and xubuntu) are now
behaving well. I had to re-populate launchers on my Xfce panel, and
re-configure the xfce workspace switcher (which was magically again
possible), but it seems good now.

This makes me think the damage and fixes were saved somewhere besides
my home directory and its dotfiles, but there were so many variables I
could not begin to guess where.

Anyway, I'm back to a workable situation.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org