Old 05-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Norman Silverstone

Default combining folder contents

On an external HDD I have a folder called myfile, for example. On an
internal HDD I have a folder also called myfile. What I want to do is to
add the contents of one folder to the contents of the other. What is the
best way to do this, please.

Norman

Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Luna Moon

Unionfs but what do you really want.* Unionfs puts all the dirctories in one directory to work as one.* Maybe you want to use mount --bind to have that directly bind to another.* For example if x is bind to y, when a user access y they are accessing x.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 PM
TOM TOM

Unionfs but what do you really want.* Unionfs puts all the dirctories in one directory to work as one.* Maybe you want to use mount --bind to have that directly bind to another.* For example if x is bind to y, when a user access y they are accessing x.

On an external HDD I have a folder called myfile, for example. On an internal HDD I have a folder also called myfile. What I want to do is to add the contents of one folder to the contents of the other. What is the best way to do this, please.

Norman

It's not clear what you want Norman. Do you mean to move or copy the contents from one folder to the other without overwriting the same files?
Or do you mean to do this like Luna suggests. Please explain.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Norman Silverstone

< snip >

It's not clear what you want Norman. Do you mean to move or copy the
contents from one folder to the other without overwriting the same files?
Or do you mean to do this like Luna suggests. Please explain.

OK, I'll start again. I am trying to copy folders and their contents
from Evolution to Thunderbird and, as example, take the folder called
'norman'. I find the folder named 'norman' in Evolution and, in a
separate window open up where I think the contents of the folder should
go in Thunderbird. So, rt. click on folder 'norman' and select copy then
rt. click in the Thunderbird window and select paste. Up pops a message
which says this folder already contains a file called "norman". Surely,
the fact that it contains a file with the same name as a folder should
not prevent the folder from being copied without replacing the existing
file. I suppose what I really want is a folder called 'norman' in
Thunderbird into which I can copy the contents of the folder in
Evolution but there isn't one. Should I make one or what?

I hope that gives you a better idea of my dilemma.

Norman

Old 05-23-2012, 07:36 PM
TOM TOM

[...]

if you want to migrate from Evolution to Thunderbird maybe have a look at this: https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/switching-thunderbird?s=migrating%20from%20evolution%20to%20 thunderbird

Otherwise, you could try moving the file called "norman" elsewhere, then copy the folder and see if there's any problem.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Ric Moore

[...]

I doubt those files are compatible. From evolution I recall you can
export the emails to a backup file, which Tbird can import. I think that
might be the only way to go. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Norman Silverstone

[...]

I think that part of the problem is because Evolution is on an old
machine and Thunderbird on a new one. Also the fact that I have started
using Thunderbird means that I would prefer to be able to retain mail I
have already received. Perhaps if I set up Thunderbird on the evolution
machine, copy the files needed from Evolution to Thunderbird on that
machine and then transfer the result, using an external HDD, to the new
machine I would achieve what I want. What do do you think, please?

Norman

Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Eberhard Roloff

I think that part of the problem is because Evolution is on
an old machine and Thunderbird on a new one. Also the fact
that I have started using Thunderbird means that I would
prefer to be able to retain mail I have already received.
Perhaps if I set up Thunderbird on the evolution machine,
copy the files needed from Evolution to Thunderbird on that
machine and then transfer the result, using an external HDD,
to the new machine I would achieve what I want. What do do
you think, please?

Norman

You could do that, because it minimises the risk of
something going wrong on the "real" target machine.

However, as you might know now, the directory .thunderbird
is your friend.

Simply copy (COPY, not rename) it to a different name on the
"real machine", and when things go wrong, you can restart
from new by deleting the faulty ./thunderbird directory and
then renaming your copy.

So, it is also possible to directly copy the files, e.g. via
ssh, also done graphically via konqueror with fish://, I
believe.

And there are alway a dozen solutions that will work, just
as well.

Eberhard

Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Norman Silverstone

[...]

I hate to admit this but I think that I have not been seeing things very
logically. Put it down to old age or something. I had totally forgotten
that my original mail client which had been set up for me quite some
years ago was IMAP and not POP. So, all I had to do was to make sure
that my new Thunderbird was set to IMAP and all my stored emails were
there. The only file I have not got is the address book but that is soon
remedied. I must apologise to all those helpful people who I might have
mislead.

Norman

Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Eberhard Roloff

I hate to admit this but I think that I have not been seeing
things very logically. Put it down to old age or something.
I had totally forgotten that my original mail client which
had been set up for me quite some years ago was IMAP and not
POP. So, all I had to do was to make sure that my new
Thunderbird was set to IMAP and all my stored emails were
there. The only file I have not got is the address book but
that is soon remedied. I must apologise to all those helpful
people who I might have mislead.

Norman

Norman, you are always welcome!
And what you now have is the beauty of IMAP.

No matter how you access it, mails are on the server,
readyfor you to use.

cheers
Eberhard