Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Norman Silverstone

Default thunderbird - setting up

Having used Evolution since I started using Ubuntu (Warty) I decided to
give Thunderbird a try. So far I have been able to receive messages but
I am unable to send. I think that is because I cannot access the SMPT
server because I need to enter a password. Could some one please point
me to where I can do this, please?

Norman

Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Ric Moore

Having used Evolution since I started using Ubuntu (Warty) I decided to
give Thunderbird a try. So far I have been able to receive messages but
I am unable to send. I think that is because I cannot access the SMPT
server because I need to enter a password. Could some one please point
me to where I can do this, please?

When it asks for the password, just enter it AFTER you check the tic box
to remember the password. From then on, it's automatic. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Norman Silverstone

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 23:19 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 05/21/2012 03:06 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> > Having used Evolution since I started using Ubuntu (Warty) I decided to
> > give Thunderbird a try. So far I have been able to receive messages but
> > I am unable to send. I think that is because I cannot access the SMPT
> > server because I need to enter a password. Could some one please point
> > me to where I can do this, please?
>
> When it asks for the password, just enter it AFTER you check the tic box
> to remember the password. From then on, it's automatic. Ric

Ric - I would happily do this if I were being asked for a password but I
am not. Let me explain what I have tried. On finding that I could not
send an email I went to Edit -> Account Settings -> Outgoing Server
(SMTP) -> Edit but there is nowhere there to enter a password. I must be
missing something so obvious that I cannot see it.

Norman

Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 AM
ru

On 22/05/12 21:02, Norman Silverstone wrote:

[...]

Hello, if you want to clear your Password in Thunderbird so it prompts
you to enter it again, In Thunderbird go to Edit - Preferences -
Security - Saved Passwords highlight your Account and click remove,
(this wont remove your Account just your password) Close Thunderbird
and re open it. you should be prompted you to re enter your Password,
you may have to click Get Mail.

Hope this helps

Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Norman Silverstone

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 21:57 +1200, ru wrote:
> On 22/05/12 21:02, Norman Silverstone wrote:

> >> When it asks for the password, just enter it AFTER you check the tic box
> >> to remember the password. From then on, it's automatic. Ric
> >>
> > Ric - I would happily do this if I were being asked for a password but I
> > am not. Let me explain what I have tried. On finding that I could not
> > send an email I went to Edit -> Account Settings -> Outgoing Server
> > (SMTP) -> Edit but there is nowhere there to enter a password. I must be
> > missing something so obvious that I cannot see it.
> >>

> Hello, if you want to clear your Password in Thunderbird so it prompts
> you to enter it again, In Thunderbird go to Edit - Preferences -
> Security - Saved Passwords highlight your Account and click remove,
> (this wont remove your Account just your password) Close Thunderbird
> and re open it. you should be prompted you to re enter your Password,
> you may have to click Get Mail.
>
> Hope this helps

Thanks, very helpful indeed. The password seems to have been entered
correctly and, in fact, mail is being received satisfactorily. So, the
problem must lie somewhere else. I am able to contact the SMTP server
from another machine running Evolution so I can assume the connection is
OK. Any suggestions, please, on how to troubleshoot this problem.

Norman

Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM
ru

On 22/05/12 22:38, Norman Silverstone wrote:

[...]

I'd say there is something up with your SMTP settings,
Do you have more than one email setup in Thunderbird?

In SMTP Settings Go to Edit Account Settings, at the bottom of the list
select Outgoing Server (SMTP)

Highlight your Server Settings and click Edit.

Depending who provides your Email Isp/Webmail
Your Setup something like this:

Server Name: smtp.yourmail.com

Port: 465 (depends on who you are with)

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication Method: Normal Password

User Name: (should be your full email address)
you should be able to get these settings from Evolution, I haven't used
Evolution for some time but it should be under account settings or similar

Hope this helps

Old 05-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Norman Silverstone

< big snip >

> I'd say there is something up with your SMTP settings,
> Do you have more than one email setup in Thunderbird?
>
> In SMTP Settings Go to Edit Account Settings, at the bottom of the list
> select Outgoing Server (SMTP)
> Highlight your Server Settings and click Edit.
>
> Depending who provides your Email Isp/Webmail
> Your Setup something like this:
>
> Server Name: smtp.yourmail.com
>
> Port: 465 (depends on who you are with)
>
> Connection Security: SSL/TLS
>
> Authentication Method: Normal Password
>
> User Name: (should be your full email address)
> you should be able to get these settings from Evolution, I haven't used
> Evolution for some time but it should be under account settings or similar

I have done this check several times just to make sure that I hadn't
done something silly like putting ',' instead of '.' The only thing I
have not done is put in a description and I cannot see that making any
difference. I am beginning to think that there is, what we used to call,
a 'Gremlin' inside the PC. There must be some logical reason but I do
not know enough about troubleshooting to find it.

Norman

Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM
ru

On 22/05/12 23:23, Norman Silverstone wrote:

< big snip>

[...]

Hmmm Do you get an error when you try to send? eg, in the left hand
bottom corner does it say something like: Authentication Failed.

Sorry I can't think of the exact error message.

Also go to Account Settings, and click the name of your Account and in
that window make sure that the Outgoing Server(SMTP) is set to your SMTP
server and not to Use Default Server.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Neil Winchurst

On 22/05/12 12:36, ru wrote:

> Hmmm Do you get an error when you try to send? eg, in the left hand
> bottom corner does it say something like: Authentication Failed.
>
> Sorry I can't think of the exact error message.
>
> Also go to Account Settings, and click the name of your Account and in
> that window make sure that the Outgoing Server(SMTP) is set to your SMTP
> server and not to Use Default Server.

Depending on your set up, is your outgoing server the same as your
incoming mail server? I had problems at first because my SMTP server is
quite separate from my incoming servers.

Anyway, I don't need authentication on my outgoing server so I did as
follows.

Edit --> Account Settings --> Outgoing Server (SMTP). Then I clicked on
Edit. Under Security and Authentication, Connection security, I selected
None and under Authentication method I chose No authentication. Now I
can sent mail without any problems because I am not asked for a password.

By the way, I am using port 25.

Hope this helps

Neil

Old 05-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Neil Winchurst

On 22/05/12 12:47, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On 22/05/12 12:36, ru wrote:
>>>
>> Hmmm Do you get an error when you try to send? eg, in the left hand
>> bottom corner does it say something like: Authentication Failed.
>>
>> Sorry I can't think of the exact error message.
>>
>> Also go to Account Settings, and click the name of your Account and in
>> that window make sure that the Outgoing Server(SMTP) is set to your SMTP
>> server and not to Use Default Server.
>>

> Depending on your set up, is your outgoing server the same as your
> incoming mail server? I had problems at first because my SMTP server is
> quite separate from my incoming servers.
>
> Anyway, I don't need authentication on my outgoing server so I did as
> follows.
>
> Edit --> Account Settings --> Outgoing Server (SMTP). Then I clicked on
> Edit. Under Security and Authentication, Connection security, I selected
> None and under Authentication method I chose No authentication. Now I
> can sent mail without any problems because I am not asked for a password.
>
> By the way, I am using port 25.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Neil

Further to the above, I had no problems receiving messages, it was
sending them where I was being asked for a password. That sounds to me
like your problem. The changes shown above sorted it out for me. It
seems that TBird treats incoming and outgoing mail separately.

Neil