Old 05-21-2012, 04:32 AM
"Michael P. Reilly"

Default no sound xubuntu 12.04 (had sound previous version)

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM, springbunny <springbunny11@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I'm not getting any audio / sound under Xubuntu 12.04. Previously when I ran version 11, I did have sound. I've checked the sound settings, but it looks okay, I think.

Do you know what might be wrong?

I'm running an IBM Thinkpad R51 with a Pentium M.

Overall I like Xubuntu 12 much better than 11. I almost never experience any crashes under 12, but they had been plentiful under 11. The trackpad behaves perfectly under 12 - but had been a problem under 11. *12.04 is a fantastic interface. If I could only solve the sound problem.

Thank you.
If you have pulseaudio installed, check the "Output Devices" tab of "pavucontrol" (PulseAudio Volume Control from the Multimedia menu). *I've found that the device (either headphones or speakers) automatically mutes after a system suspend operation (pm-suspend) and possibly after a reboot. *Haven't figured out yet how to deal with that, but that was the problem I first had.

*

Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 AM
springbunny

If you have pulseaudio installed, check the "Output Devices" tab of
"pavucontrol" (PulseAudio Volume Control from the Multimedia menu).
I've found that the device (either headphones or speakers)
automatically mutes after a system suspend operation (pm-suspend) and
possibly after a reboot. Haven't figured out yet how to deal with
that, but that was the problem I first had.

Thanks for helping. Still no sound.
I do have pulseaudio. Under "output devices" there are the following

Built-in Audio analog stereo:
Port: (choice 1) Headphones / Amplifier (This is what's chosen under my
options)

(choice 2) Headphones / No Amplifier
(choice 3) LFE on separate mono output / Amplifier
(choice 4) LFE on separate mono output / No Amplifier

Front Left (set at 119% (4.49dB)
Front Right (ditto)

Nothing looks muted.

I seem to recall under Xubuntu 11 there were more audio setting options.
I only had it for a brief while so I can't recall everything. I had
tried other distros and they all had sound. I'm a Linux newbie, but
12.04 is clearly the best, by leaps and bounds, I've used if only the
sound would work.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Wybo Dekker

Sound settings are as buggy as keyboard settings. They change
unpredictably. This works, most of the time for me:
Add Mixer to your panel: right click panel->Panel->Add new items->Mixer->Add

Then left click the new item->select controls-> select them all.
Sound card: select alsa mixer
Master, headphone, speaker, pcm: all on and 100%

Then it works, most of the time.
But often, after logging out and in again, and sometimes impredictably,
Master appears to have gone to a (very) low level, so keep an eye on it.

--
Wybo

Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Ru

Hiya, you have probably already tried this, but is your sound disabled by your Function Key maybe ? on my Lenovo *it's Fn Esc to enable/disable the sound, hope this helps*

If you have pulseaudio installed, check the "Output Devices" tab of "pavucontrol" (PulseAudio Volume Control from the Multimedia menu). *I've found that the device (either headphones or speakers) automatically mutes after a system suspend operation (pm-suspend) and possibly after a reboot. *Haven't figured out yet how to deal with that, but that was the problem I first had.

Thanks for helping. Still no sound.

I do have pulseaudio. Under "output devices" there are the following options:

Built-in Audio analog stereo:

Port: (choice 1) Headphones / Amplifier (This is what's chosen under my options)

(choice 2) Headphones / No Amplifier

(choice 3) LFE on separate mono output / Amplifier

(choice 4) LFE on separate mono output / No Amplifier

Front Left (set at 119% (4.49dB)

Front Right (ditto)

Nothing looks muted.

I seem to recall under Xubuntu 11 there were more audio setting options. I only had it for a brief while so I can't recall everything. I had tried other distros and they all had sound. I'm a Linux newbie, but 12.04 is clearly the best, by leaps and bounds, I've used if only the sound would work.

"Never Let anyone
Tell You How To Live Your Life,
Value Your Freedom"

~Rebecca McCarthy (1947-1998)~

Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 AM
TOM TOM

[...]

Be sure to go to sound settings and set output to "Analog" instead of "Headphones".
Today for an unknown reason my output switched to "Headphones".
Weird, but unfortunately I don't have time to investigate further and file a bug report.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 PM
springbunny

It is working although I can't entirely explain why. Partially
because I followed TOM TOM's advice. But the odd thing is, I'd
tested changing that setting before and it hadn't worked then. It
wasn't giving me sound through headphones when set to headphones,
nor on "LFE on Separate Mono Output / Amplifier". But just now when
I changed to that LFE option is suddenly starts playing sound! I'm
glad it is working, but this is pretty quirky stuff.

Thank you - all who helped - especially TOM TOM for the answer that
ended up being the key.

By the way, what does LFE stand for?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Wybo Dekker

On 2012-05-21 13:53, TOM TOM wrote:
> Be sure to go to sound settings and set output to "Analog" instead of
> "Headphones".

where do i find "sound settings"?

> Today for an unknown reason my output switched to "Headphones".
> Weird, but unfortunately I don't have time to investigate further and
> file a bug report.

Ya, that's one of those things why I said it's buggy...

--
Wybo

On 2012-05-21 10:17, springbunny wrote:

> On 05/20/2012 11:32 PM, Michael P. Reilly wrote:

>> If you have pulseaudio installed, check the "Output Devices" tab of

>> "pavucontrol" (PulseAudio Volume Control from the Multimedia menu).

>> *I've found that the device (either headphones or speakers)

>> automatically mutes after a system suspend operation (pm-suspend) and

>> possibly after a reboot. *Haven't figured out yet how to deal with

>> that, but that was the problem I first had.

The xfce-mixer hasn't been working properly, which may be part of the problem.
I've noticed that if I click on any of the mute buttons in xfce-mixer, that it mutes properly, but I'm not able to unmute. *I need to go to pavucontrol and unmute there.

For example, if, in xfce-mixer, I mute the speaker, then the speaker and master are muted in xfce-mixer and the speaker in pavucontrol. *If I unmute the speaker in xfce-mixer, then only that one channel is unmuted - the master in xfce-mixer and speaker in pavucontrol are left muted and I need to unmute the others manually. *If I mute the speakers in xfce-mixer and unmute the speakers in pavucontrol, then all three unmute correctly.

However, in xfce-mixer, I change to use "Playback: Built-in Audio Analog Stereo (Pulse Audio)", and right now, things seem to work.
Try setting that, springbunny, and see if that works for you.

* -Michael--*What comes after the O-nut?
The P-nut

What comes after the P-nut?
The elephant
* joke told by my sons

On 2012-05-21 10:17, springbunny wrote:

> On 05/20/2012 11:32 PM, Michael P. Reilly wrote:

>> If you have pulseaudio installed, check the
"Output Devices" tab of

>> "pavucontrol" (PulseAudio Volume Control from the
Multimedia menu).

>> *I've found that the device (either headphones or
speakers)

>> automatically mutes after a system suspend
operation (pm-suspend) and

>> possibly after a reboot. *Haven't figured out yet
how to deal with

>> that, but that was the problem I first had.

The xfce-mixer hasn't been working properly, which may be
part of the problem.

I've noticed that if I click on any of the mute buttons in
xfce-mixer, that it mutes properly, but I'm not able to unmute.
*I need to go to pavucontrol and unmute there.

For example, if, in xfce-mixer, I mute the speaker, then
the speaker and master are muted in xfce-mixer and the speaker
in pavucontrol. *If I unmute the speaker in xfce-mixer, then
only that one channel is unmuted - the master in xfce-mixer
and speaker in pavucontrol are left muted and I need to unmute
the others manually. *If I mute the speakers in xfce-mixer and
unmute the speakers in pavucontrol, then all three unmute
correctly.

However, in xfce-mixer, I change to use "Playback: Built-in
Audio Analog Stereo (Pulse Audio)", and right now, things seem
to work.

Try setting that, springbunny, and see if that works for
you.

* -Michael
--*
What comes
after the O-nut?

The P-nut

What comes after the P-nut?

The elephant

* joke told by my sons

Form what I posted at here

the solution is to change to default sound card for xfce4 from
the physical one to the pulse audio card

to do that

go to xfce-menu->Settings->'Settings Editor' near the bottom

then find the 'xfce4-mixer' item on the right of the menu

then select the active-card property and then edit it put this as
the new value:

Code:
PlaybackInternalAudioAnalogStereoPulseAudioMixer

save it if it worked the effect should take place emmediatly

Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 AM
Ric Moore