Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Norman Silverstone

Default memory stick

Using Xubuntu 12.04, when the memory stick is plugged in to either a USB
hub or directly into a port on the computer the usual window does not
open on the desktop. However, the window does open using Ubuntu 11.04.
Suggestions on how to deal with this, please.

Norman

Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM
TOM TOM

Using Xubuntu 12.04, when the memory stick is plugged in to either a USB

hub or directly into a port on the computer the usual window does not

open on the desktop. However, the window does open using Ubuntu 11.04.

Suggestions on how to deal with this, please.

Norman

Go to preferences manager -> removable media -> and select the options you want.

I wish the devs make xubuntu 12.10 behave exactly like gnome 2.*

Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Pasi Lallinaho

Using Xubuntu 12.04, when the memory stick is plugged in to
either a USB

hub or directly into a port on the computer the usual window
does not

open on the desktop. However, the window does open using
Ubuntu 11.04.

Suggestions on how to deal with this, please.

Norman

Go to preferences manager -> removable media -> and
select the options you want.

I wish the devs make xubuntu 12.10 behave exactly like gnome
2.*

Please bear in mind that Xubuntu (or Xfce) is not replacement to
GNOME 2, and it is the most unlikely that any of the contributors
want to strive achieving this.

Usability issues, like automouting/opening media, are of course
discussable.

Cheers,

Pasi

Leader of Xubuntu and Shimmer Project *http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 05-18-2012, 12:40 PM
TOM TOM

[...]

You are right. It was wrong of me to say "exactly like gnome 2".
However, XFCE must be aware that it's now the number one viable alternative to gnome 2.
It's just a matter of simple default preferences to become more user friendly.*

Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Norman Silverstone

> > Using Xubuntu 12.04, when the memory stick is
> > plugged in to either a USB
> > hub or directly into a port on the computer the
> > usual window does not
> > open on the desktop. However, the window does open
> > using Ubuntu 11.04.
> > Suggestions on how to deal with this, please.

> > Go to preferences manager -> removable media -> and select
> > the options you want.
> >
> > I wish the devs make xubuntu 12.10 behave exactly like gnome
> > 2.
> >

> Please bear in mind that Xubuntu (or Xfce) is not replacement
> to GNOME 2, and it is the most unlikely that any of the
> contributors want to strive achieving this.
>
> Usability issues, like automouting/opening media, are of
> course discussable.
>

> You are right. It was wrong of me to say "exactly like gnome 2".
> However, XFCE must be aware that it's now the number one viable
> alternative to gnome 2.
> It's just a matter of simple default preferences to become more user
> friendly.

What makes it more frustrating is that an external USB HDD mounts when
it is plugged in and a message pops up to say it has happened. Perhaps
it would help if, when an item does not mount when plugged in, a message
popped up saying what to do.

Norman

Old 05-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Norman Silverstone

> Using Xubuntu 12.04, when the memory stick is plugged in to
> either a USB
> hub or directly into a port on the computer the usual window
> does not
> open on the desktop. However, the window does open using
> Ubuntu 11.04.
> Suggestions on how to deal with this, please.
>
> Norman
>

> Go to preferences manager -> removable media -> and select the options
> you want.
>
> I wish the devs make xubuntu 12.10 behave exactly like gnome 2.

Thanks for responding but this is not the answer the options had already
been selected by default.

Norman

Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM
TOM TOM

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Norman Silverstone <norman@littletank.org> wrote:

> * * * * Using Xubuntu 12.04, when the memory stick is plugged in to

> * * * * either a USB

> * * * * hub or directly into a port on the computer the usual window

> * * * * does not

> * * * * open on the desktop. However, the window does open using

> * * * * Ubuntu 11.04.

> * * * * Suggestions on how to deal with this, please.

> * * * * Norman

> Go to preferences manager -> removable media -> and select the options

> you want.

> I wish the devs make xubuntu 12.10 behave exactly like gnome 2.

Thanks for responding but this is not the answer the options had already

been selected by default.

Norman

If you want Thunar file manager to open automaticaly you need to select "autorun" something something
which is not selected by default.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Norman Silverstone

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 17:03 +0300, TOM TOM wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Norman Silverstone
> <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
>

> > Using Xubuntu 12.04, when the memory stick is
> plugged in to
> > either a USB
> > hub or directly into a port on the computer the
> usual window
> > does not
> > open on the desktop. However, the window does open
> using
> > Ubuntu 11.04.
> > Suggestions on how to deal with this, please.
> >
> > Norman
> >

> > Go to preferences manager -> removable media -> and select
> the options
> > you want.
> >
> > I wish the devs make xubuntu 12.10 behave exactly like gnome
> 2.
> >

> Thanks for responding but this is not the answer the options
> had already
> been selected by default.
>
> Norman

> If you want Thunar file manager to open automaticaly you need to
> select "autorun" something something
> which is not selected by default.

Tried selecting autorun something and there was no change in behaviour.
Plug the stick in and a light on the stick comes on and a light on the
hub comes on. After about a second both go out and nothing else happens.
However, plug in a HDD and a window opens showing the content of the
drive and that is without selecting autorun. Must be something in the
stick that Xubuntu doesn't like but Ubuntu does, how odd.

Norman

Old 05-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Joshua O'Leary

On 18/05/12 16:53, Norman Silverstone wrote:

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 17:03 +0300, TOM TOM wrote:

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Norman Silverstone
<norman@littletank.org> wrote:

> Using Xubuntu 12.04, when the memory stick is
plugged in to
> either a USB
> hub or directly into a port on the computer the
usual window
> does not
> open on the desktop. However, the window does open
using
> Ubuntu 11.04.
> Suggestions on how to deal with this, please.
>
> Norman
>

> Go to preferences manager -> removable media -> and select
the options
> you want.
>
> I wish the devs make xubuntu 12.10 behave exactly like gnome
2.

Thanks for responding but this is not the answer the options
had already
been selected by default.

Norman

If you want Thunar file manager to open automaticaly you need to
select "autorun" something something
which is not selected by default.

Tried selecting autorun something and there was no change in behaviour.
Plug the stick in and a light on the stick comes on and a light on the
hub comes on. After about a second both go out and nothing else happens.
However, plug in a HDD and a window opens showing the content of the
drive and that is without selecting autorun. Must be something in the
stick that Xubuntu doesn't like but Ubuntu does, how odd.

Norman

Have you tried resetting xfce's configuration (rm -rf
.config/xfce4).

You could also see if udisks --mount /dev/sdX works.

(where X is the drive letter, which you can get by running dmesg
| tail once the memory stick has been plugged in.

Also you could check to see if thunar-volman is installed - it is
needed for some devices.

Joshua