-   -   Virtual Box Lost (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/667971-virtual-box-lost.html)

Joshua O'Leary 05-17-2012 07:53 PM

Virtual Box Lost

On 17/05/12 19:10, Michael Comperchio wrote:

On 05/17/2012 02:07 PM, Joshua O'Leary wrote:

On 17/05/12 18:47, Michael Comperchio wrote:

Ok, so I got fed up trying to get the NVIDIA drivers working
again in Oneiric Ocelot, so I ran the
command line distro updater... marvelous, I've got X back.
But I've lost VirtualBox!!!!!

From the popup window....

The
VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not
loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv.
Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should
install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of
Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel
module if necessary.

I am not really that knowledgeable about kernal stuff ...
HELP!

--

Michael Comperchio

michael.comperchio@gmail.com

860 387 2650

44 Eagle St, 3 fl

Torrington, CT. 06790

Computers were created to help people become more
productive... then someone invented the internet.

--

Michael Comperchio

michael.comperchio@gmail.com

860 387 2650

44 Eagle St, 3 fl

Torrington, CT. 06790

Computers were created to help people become more
productive... then someone invented the internet.

sudo modprobe vboxdrv

module vboxdrv not found

ugh.

--

Michael Comperchio

michael.comperchio@gmail.com

860 387 2650

44 Eagle St, 3 fl

Torrington, CT. 06790

Computers were created to help people become more
productive... then someone invented the internet.

Try

sudo apt-get --reinstall install virtualbox-ose-dkms -y

Joshua

Michael Comperchio 05-17-2012 08:01 PM

Virtual Box Lost

Ok, so I got fed up trying to get the NVIDIA drivers working
again in Oneiric
Ocelot, so I ran the command line distro updater...
marvelous, I've got X back. But I've lost VirtualBox!!!!!

From the popup window....

[...]

Alrighty... here's the scoop.... I did, in fact, get the dkms. After
muddling through the man pages for DKMS i did build, install ...
reboot and happiness... I have my win7 and XP virtual machines
back... YEHHHHHH.

It does bring me to another question. Whenever i try to 'reboot'
this box (gateway 6801, core i7 920, 9 gig ram, 750 + 500 gig hd,
NVIDIA gtx260) it hangs on something called ACPI... if I shut it
down (as opposed to reboot) then let it sit for a few it starts up
just fine... what's up with that?

All this so I don't have to boot to win7 to watch NETFLIX!

Ric Moore 05-18-2012 03:10 AM

Virtual Box Lost