Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 PM
James Freer

Default Why xubuntu support for external storage devices is different than gnome's?

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Italo Maia <italo.maia@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I plug my 500gb external storage device in ubuntu and then choose to
> "remove safely", my device light turns off when I get the message "safe to
> remove". With xubuntu, that never happens. Why is that?

I don't know 'why' but it seems xubuntu has always been set up
properly aka windows.

james

Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Joshua O'Leary

--

"A arrogância é a arma dos fracos."

===========================

Italo Moreira Campelo Maia

Bacharel em Ciência da Computação - UECE

Desenvolvedor WEB e Desktop (Java, Python, Lua)

Coordenador do Pug-CE

http://www.italomaia.com/

http://twitter.com/italomaia/

http://eusouolobomau.blogspot.com/

Turtle Linux* 9.10 - http://tiny.cc/blogturtle910

Turtle Linux 10.10 - http://bit.ly/cEw4ET

Because xubuntu does not use the same backends as Ubuntu does -
instead of using nautilus and gvfs, it uses thunar and
thunar-volman. The xfce backends only support unmounting of devices
(not powering down), although it there must be some command line way
of doing it. I wouldn't worry about it though - its unlikely to
damage external devices, they are designed with hot-plugging in
mind.