-   -   icon problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/665750-icon-problems.html)

bob 05-11-2012 03:37 PM

icon problems

Good day.

I've just installed Xubuntu 12.04 replacing Lubuntu 11.10, leaving the home folder intact.

When using Lubuntu, pcmanfm wasn't sorting files and folders properly so, at the request of my wife, I installed another file manager-in that case, I installed Thunar.

Previously this computer has had Debian Wheezy with an XFCE desktop and before that Xubuntu on it, all without reformatting the home folder.

Now, when Thunar is opened there are no icons available, regardless of which view is shown-and usually my preference is for icons as opposed to lists. In addition, the log out dialogue has no panel icon (except the empty no icon symbol) and when I open Settings Manager some of the entries have no icons-those for Accessibility, Appearance, Desktop, Display, Keyboard, Mousepad and Touchpad, and Removable Drives and Media have no icons. The other entries in Settings Manager (Calendar, File Manager etc) do.

I don't think it is likely to affect the answer, but just in case, the only other thing odd that I've noticed is that clicking on the Guest-Account name on the login page doesn't do anything. (That isn't the problem I'm seeking help with, though it wouldn't hurt to get it-I'm really just including that information in case it has anything to do with my icon problem.)

Thanks all.

TOM TOM 05-11-2012 05:44 PM

icon problems

[...]

Hello. It's very likely that some leftover configuration files in your home folder are responsible.

Create a new user and login to it's account to see if everything is alright when using a new configuration.

bob 05-11-2012 06:37 PM

icon problems

Thanks Thomas.

Yes, the icons in the test account works fine. I'd already created it, actually, and neglected to mention it in my post.

Any idea what configuration files I'm dealing with?

Joshua O'Leary 05-11-2012 10:01 PM

icon problems

[...]

Have you tried resetting your configuration?
rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4
rm -rf ~/.gconf
rm -rf ~/.gnome2

That would save having to create a new user account