-   -   Problem installing 12.04? (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/664559-problem-installing-12-04-a.html)

Knute Johnson 05-09-2012 03:45 AM

Problem installing 12.04?

I'm trying to install Xubuntu 12.04 on an old Dell laptop. I'm getting
an error that says the installer had an unrecoverable error and then
starts a session so I can troubleshoot. The problem is, I don't know
what to look for. Any ideas?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

Greg Zeng 05-09-2012 05:04 AM

Problem installing 12.04?

What model Dell? If you are trying a 64 bit op sys on a 32-only bit
computer, that may be the problem.

Sometimes my partitions on the drive are messed up. In these cases, I
try installing another 'buntu op sys. Or use the 'buntu MANUAL
install, to select, clean/ modify your existing partitions, instead of
relying on an automatic installation.

Using a USB installer? Sometimes installing this way may not work;
cd or dvd only. I've also had the installation media (CD, DVD,
USB-Flash container) have a permanent hardware breakdown.

Using your installing method, try installing onto another computer.
No need to complete the installation - just to see if the same error
happens.

Knute Johnson 05-09-2012 02:05 PM

Problem installing 12.04?

What model Dell? If you are trying a 64 bit op sys on a 32-only bit
computer, that may be the problem.

Older Dell 4000 laptop.

Sometimes my partitions on the drive are messed up. In these cases, I
try installing another 'buntu op sys. Or use the 'buntu MANUAL
install, to select, clean/ modify your existing partitions, instead of
relying on an automatic installation.

I don't think it is messed up. It had a running WinXP on it till I
tried to install 12.04. In the past I've had Xubuntu on it.

Using a USB installer? Sometimes installing this way may not work;
cd or dvd only. I've also had the installation media (CD, DVD,
USB-Flash container) have a permanent hardware breakdown.

CD

Using your installing method, try installing onto another computer.
No need to complete the installation - just to see if the same error
happens.

It goes almost to the end of the install before it blows up.

Piskie 05-09-2012 02:14 PM

Problem installing 12.04?

I'm trying to install Xubuntu 12.04 on an old Dell laptop. I'm
getting an error that says the installer had an unrecoverable error
and then starts a session so I can troubleshoot. The problem is, I
don't know what to look for. Any ideas?

Thanks,

I'd be inclined to check the md5sum of the download and the cd burn - if
those are both good then I'd look further.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/CDIntegrityCheck

You might need to use some boot options for it

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDBootOptions

regards

Piskie

Knute Johnson 05-09-2012 02:19 PM

Problem installing 12.04?

I'm trying to install Xubuntu 12.04 on an old Dell laptop. I'm
getting an error that says the installer had an unrecoverable error
and then starts a session so I can troubleshoot. The problem is, I
don't know what to look for. Any ideas?

Thanks,

I'd be inclined to check the md5sum of the download and the cd burn -
if those are both good then I'd look further.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/CDIntegrityCheck

You might need to use some boot options for it

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDBootOptions

regards

Piskie

Thanks I'll try that.

--

Knute Johnson

TOM TOM 05-09-2012 02:26 PM

Problem installing 12.04?

I'm trying to install Xubuntu 12.04 on an old Dell laptop. I'm

getting an error that says the installer had an unrecoverable error

and then starts a session so I can troubleshoot. The problem is, I

don't know what to look for. Any ideas?

Thanks,

I'd be inclined to check the md5sum of the download and the cd burn -

if those are both good then I'd look further.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/CDIntegrityCheck

You might need to use some boot options for it

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDBootOptions

regards

Piskie

Thanks I'll try that.

--

Knute Johnson

Also, if you don't have important data on the disk or other operating systems, try formating the whole disk before installation.
That is: delete all partitions with gparted and format it to ext4.

Joshua O'Leary 05-09-2012 04:00 PM

Problem installing 12.04?

[...]

Have you tried the alternate
install?

Knute Johnson 05-10-2012 04:25 AM

Problem installing 12.04?

I should have thought of that. I'm trying to load it now. I'll report
back.

--

Knute Johnson

Knute Johnson 05-10-2012 04:27 AM

Problem installing 12.04?

I'm trying to install Xubuntu 12.04 on an old Dell laptop. I'm getting
an error that says the installer had an unrecoverable error and then
starts a session so I can troubleshoot. The problem is, I don't know
what to look for. Any ideas?

Thanks,

I'd be inclined to check the md5sum of the download and the cd burn - if
those are both good then I'd look further.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/CDIntegrityCheck

You might need to use some boot options for it

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDBootOptions

regards

Piskie

I checked the md5sums but couldn't get the CD integrity check to work.
I held a key for the whole boot process but it just goes through the
normal boot up.

--

Knute Johnson

Knute Johnson 05-10-2012 04:58 AM