Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Howto Ubuntu -> Xubuntu

I've been trying xfce, and find it does everything I need on the
desktop, with at most small differences in appearance and use.
I plan to go to Xubuntu when I go to 12.04 (maybe soon, more likely
wait for 12.04.1).

I'm wondering what the best way is. I'd like to *not* install fresh
-- I have tweaks and configs all over the place that have accumulated
over 8 years or so. I doubt I could find them all. I *would* like
/etc/lsb-release to reflect what happened without manual intervention.
The main candidates seem to be
1) Install in a spare partition (I can, but don't want to)
2) Use the "going back" instructions from
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfcenatty and upgrade it.
3) Use an Xubuntu disk to upgrade Natty directly.

Are there other (better) options?
Which would be smoothest/best?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-05-2012, 08:06 PM
"h.lekin"

On 05.05.2012 21:37, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I've been trying xfce, and find it does everything I need on the
> desktop, with at most small differences in appearance and use.
> I plan to go to Xubuntu when I go to 12.04 (maybe soon, more likely
> wait for 12.04.1).

I find Xfce excellent, clear and very fast. Unfortunately the editor
Leafpad is a pain, and I still have to get used to handle the file
manager Thunar...

I used Lucid before. You can set your desktop environment very similar
to Gnome 2.

> I'm wondering what the best way is. I'd like to *not* install fresh
> -- I have tweaks and configs all over the place that have accumulated
> over 8 years or so. I doubt I could find them all. I *would* like
> /etc/lsb-release to reflect what happened without manual intervention.
> The main candidates seem to be
> 1) Install in a spare partition (I can, but don't want to)
> 2) Use the "going back" instructions from
> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfcenatty and upgrade it.
> 3) Use an Xubuntu disk to upgrade Natty directly.
>
> Are there other (better) options?
> Which would be smoothest/best?

I did a fresh install in spare partitions.

About chatting: I use Pidgin for Jabber(XMPP). I think you have to
register for an AIM or ICU account; you don't have to do this for a
Jabber account.

Mail works too, just a little slower...

H.L

Old 05-06-2012, 01:48 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM, h.lekin <h.lekin@gmx.net> wrote:

> About chatting: I use Pidgin for Jabber(XMPP). I think you have to
> register for an AIM or ICU account; you don't have to do this for a
> Jabber account.
>
> Mail works too, just a little slower...

Mail is fine, but I think discussing how to chat belongs in private
email, or chat itself.

I started pidgin, I see I have 6 accounts; all of them were free to
register. They are ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo and IRC (2 differrent
servers) I also see I can create a new account with the XMPP
protocol. I don't know how to fill out the rest of the info:
Username (make one up?)
Domain I have no idea
Resource I have no idea
Password (well, I suppose I know how to do this one)

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD