Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Xubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/)
-   -   Sudoing root (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/663464-sudoing-root.html)

"Kevin O'Gorman" 05-05-2012 07:00 PM

Sudoing root
 
I'm switching from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, but I'm not there yet. I have a question:

The main Ubuntu site says to not use sudo for running graphical
programs as root.
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo>:

This says to use gksudu or kdesudo; is either of these available in
xubuntu, or is there some other way to get this right?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

"h.lekin" 05-05-2012 07:21 PM

Sudoing root
 
Hello Kevin !

On 05.05.2012 21:00, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I'm switching from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, but I'm not there yet.

I did the same three days ago, and think it was a good decision.

I have a question:
>
> The main Ubuntu site says to not use sudo for running graphical
> programs as root.
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo>:
>
> This says to use gksudu or kdesudo; is either of these available in
> xubuntu, or is there some other way to get this right?
>
It seems to be exactly the same on Xubuntu. You can also create a Thunar
custom action: /usr/bin/gksudo leafpad %f, similar to Nautilus.

Greets,
Hael

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

"Kevin O'Gorman" 05-05-2012 07:28 PM

Sudoing root
 
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM, h.lekin <h.lekin@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello Kevin !
>
> On 05.05.2012 21:00, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> I'm switching from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, but I'm not there yet.
>
> I did the same three days ago, and think it was a good decision.
>
> I have a question:
>>
>> The main Ubuntu site says to not use sudo for running graphical
>> programs as root.
>> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo>:
>>
>> This says to use gksudu or kdesudo; *is either of these available in
>> xubuntu, or is there some other way to get this right?
>>
> It seems to be exactly the same on Xubuntu. You can also create a Thunar
> custom action: /usr/bin/gksudo leafpad %f, similar to Nautilus.

Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance, but I could not even tell you what Thunar and
Nautilus are, though I know I've seen the name Nautilus many times.
Just not in my mental toolkit. And I've been using Ubuntu since
Warty.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

"h.lekin" 05-05-2012 07:35 PM

Sudoing root
 
On 05.05.2012 21:28, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but I could not even tell you what Thunar and
> Nautilus are, though I know I've seen the name Nautilus many times.
> Just not in my mental toolkit. And I've been using Ubuntu since
> Warty.
>
Do you have a Jabber chat-account? This would make things much easier...

H.L

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

"Kevin O'Gorman" 05-05-2012 07:42 PM

Sudoing root
 
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM, h.lekin <h.lekin@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> On 05.05.2012 21:28, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> Pardon my ignorance, but I could not even tell you what Thunar and
>> Nautilus are, though I know I've seen the name Nautilus many times.
>> Just not in my mental toolkit. *And I've been using Ubuntu since
>> Warty.
>>
> Do you have a Jabber chat-account? This would make things much easier...

Never heard of it. I don't chat much, and not at all recently, but
when I have, I've used Pidgin on ICU and AIM mostly

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

Elizabeth Krumbach 05-05-2012 09:48 PM

Sudoing root
 
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but I could not even tell you what Thunar and
> Nautilus are, though I know I've seen the name Nautilus many times.
> Just not in my mental toolkit. *And I've been using Ubuntu since
> Warty.

They are the file managers for Xfce and Gnome, respectively. It's not
surprising that you're unfamiliar with the proper names, they tend to
just be called "File Manager" in their respective environments :)

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.