-   -   Version 12.04 (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/662342-version-12-04-a.html)

Neil Winchurst 05-02-2012 05:41 PM

Version 12.04

I am testing this on VBox, having previously used version 11.10. So far
mostly so good. I have two questions please.

The new version has the menu icon at the top left corner instead of the
bottom left corner. So far I can't find any way to change it.

With the earlier version I was able to get the Orage calendar to show
the weeks starting on a Sunday. To do this I did as follows.

Go to /usr/share/i18n/locales. Open the text file en_GB. Find the line
first_weekday and change 2 to 1. This worked.

I have done the same in version 12.04 but it has no effect. Has
something changed?

Thanks for any help,

Neil

"Michael P. Reilly" 05-02-2012 07:08 PM

Version 12.04

I am testing this on VBox, having previously used version 11.10. So far

*mostly so good. I have two questions please.

The new version has the menu icon at the top left corner instead of the

bottom left corner. So far I can't find any way to change it.

With the earlier version I was able to get the Orage calendar to show

the weeks starting on a Sunday. To do this I did as follows.

Go to /usr/share/i18n/locales. Open the text file en_GB. Find the line

first_weekday and change 2 to 1. This worked.

I have done the same in version 12.04 but it has no effect. Has

something changed?
*The default location for the Application Menu (cute mouse in front of the blue "X") is the top left with the panel running across the top. *You could have moved it at some point. *From the applications menu, select "Settings > Settings Manager > Panels". *In the dialog, select "Horizonal" orientation and 100% length. *If "Lock panel" is selected, then uncheck it. *Then move the panel where you want, for example, to the bottom of the screen. *Click on "Close" to save the changes.

* -Arcege--
What comes after the O-nut?
The P-nut
What comes after the P-nut?

The elephant
* joke told by my sons

Joshua O'Leary 05-02-2012 09:43 PM

Version 12.04

*

--

What comes
after the O-nut?

The P-nut

What comes after the P-nut?

The elephant

* joke told by my sons

Hi,

As a suggested solution for editing the first weekday, after editing
the locales file, did you run:

sudo locale-gen

To update it? This forum post may be useful:

Joshua

Neil Winchurst 05-03-2012 08:30 AM

Version 12.04

On 02/05/12 22:43, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> On 02/05/12 20:08, Michael P. Reilly wrote:
>>
>> The default location for the Application Menu (cute mouse in front of
>> the blue "X") is the top left with the panel running across the top.
>> You could have moved it at some point. From the applications menu,
>> select "Settings > Settings Manager > Panels". In the dialog, select
>> "Horizonal" orientation and 100% length. If "Lock panel" is selected,
>> then uncheck it. Then move the panel where you want, for example, to
>> the bottom of the screen. Click on "Close" to save the changes.
>>
>> -Arcege
>> --
I have tried this. Every time I drag the panel to the bottom of the
screen it goes back to the top.

> Hi,
> As a suggested solution for editing the first weekday, after editing the
> locales file, did you run:
> sudo locale-gen
> To update it? This forum post may be useful:
>
> Joshua

Thanks for that. I do not remember having to update the locales file
last time. However I have now run locale-gen and restarted the program
and it is now working as required. I have updated my help notes too.

Regards

Neil

Neil Winchurst 05-03-2012 12:13 PM

Version 12.04

On 02/05/12 22:43, Joshua O'Leary wrote:

> Hi,
> As a suggested solution for editing the first weekday, after editing the
> locales file, did you run:
> sudo locale-gen
> To update it? This forum post may be useful:
>
> Joshua

As I have already said, this did the trick for me. I find it interesting
to compare this with my other distro Kubuntu.

Xubuntu

Open up /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_GB in a text editor.
In the section LC_TIME find the line first_weekday 2.
Change the 2 to a 1 and save the file.
In a terminal screen run sudo locale-gen.
Close down and restart the distro.

(Note that the text file is owned by root so you need to find a way
round that or you can't save the change. Note also that it is not
obvious which file to edit.)

Kubuntu

Menu --> Settings --> System settings.
Click on Locale
Open the Calendar tab
From the drop down menu under First day of the week, choose the day you
want.
Click on Apply
Return to the desktop. Job done.

IMHO the Kubuntu way is easier and more intuitive. It seems that Orage,
in Xubuntu, takes its defaults from the relevant locale file. This will
not always be what people want, and it is not obvious how to change it.

However, I do like Xubuntu. I am thinking of upgrading my computer to a
more up-to-date distro and Xubuntu is certainly on the list.

Thanks for the help,

Neil