Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Jack Fromm

Default Thunderbird New Mail Sound - SOLVED

On 2012-04-30 15:03, Jack Fromm wrote:

Does anyone know how to get the Thunderbird new mail notification sound
working in 12.04? Neither the default system sound nor a specific .wav
file works for me. I've tried a couple of add-ons and I've tried
installing esound. Nothing seems to help.

Anyone have any better ideas?

same problem here, although the file /is/ played, but only for a few
milliseconds. Just hear a faint tick.
The same file e-mailed as an attachment can be played correctly though.

If you install libaudiofile1, libesd0, and esound-common, .wav files
seem to play fine. Can't figure out how to get the default sound though.

Thank you, sir. Works for me. Now if the envelope in the notification
area would just turn green consistently when new mail arrives, all would
be right with the world. :-)

Jack

Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Wybo Dekker

On 2012-04-30 21:52, Jack Fromm wrote:
>> If you install libaudiofile1, libesd0, and esound-common, .wav files
>> seem to play fine. Can't figure out how to get the default sound though.
>>
> Thank you, sir. Works for me. Now if the envelope in the notification
> area would just turn green consistently when new mail arrives, all would
> be right with the world

not for me: all those were already installed, no sound, except for a few
milliseconds...

--
Wybo

Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Joshua O'Leary

If you install libaudiofile1, libesd0, and esound-common, .wav files
seem to play fine. Can't figure out how to get the default sound though.

Thank you, sir. Works for me. Now if the envelope in the notification
area would just turn green consistently when new mail arrives, all would
be right with the world

not for me: all those were already installed, no sound, except for a few
milliseconds...

There must be another package needed somewhere, if this works in 12.04
on both ubuntu and lubuntu

Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 AM
"Leif Lund Denmark::dk"

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012, at 21:26, Joshua O'Leary wrote:

> >> Thank you, sir. Works for me. Now if the envelope in the notification
> >> area would just turn green consistently when new mail arrives, all would
> >> be right with the world
> > not for me: all those were already installed, no sound, except for a few
> > milliseconds...
> >
> There must be another package needed somewhere, if this works in 12.04
> on both ubuntu and lubuntu

Tickbox in Settings-Manager

Settings-Manager : Appearance : Settings

There it is, Tickbox for "system sounds" "Event sounds"

Old 05-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Joshua O'Leary

If you install libaudiofile1, libesd0, and esound-common, .wav files
seem to play fine. Can't figure out how to get the default sound though.

Thank you, sir. Works for me. Now if the envelope in the notification
area would just turn green consistently when new mail arrives, all would
be right with the world

not for me: all those were already installed, no sound, except for a few
milliseconds...

There must be another package needed somewhere, if this works in 12.04
on both ubuntu and lubuntu

Tickbox in Settings-Manager

Settings-Manager : Appearance : Settings

There it is, Tickbox for "system sounds" "Event sounds"

Thanks! That worked a treat

Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Wybo Dekker

On 2012-05-01 03:49, Leif Lund Denmark::dk wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012, at 21:26, Joshua O'Leary wrote:

>>> not for me: all those were already installed, no sound, except for a few
>>> milliseconds...
>>>
>> There must be another package needed somewhere, if this works in 12.04
>> on both ubuntu and lubuntu
>>
>> --
>
> Tickbox in Settings-Manager
>
> Settings-Manager : Appearance : Settings
>
> There it is, Tickbox for "system sounds" "Event sounds"

Didn't help here: was already set.
Popup said that Canberra was needed.
Installed it - no difference, just the few millisconds of sound.
--
Wybo