Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Luna Moon

Default smbclient connecting to a Red Hat EPEL 6 share

Are you guys having trouble connecting to a samba shares? I know I do,
my Red Hat server has samba setup and it works great with windows
clients, but when I installed Xubuntu 12.04 I cannot connect to any of
the shares unless they have no log in. Like anonymous work fine but
others don't. I know i am typing the password correct but it won't
connect.

I have already have
client lanman auth = yes
client ntmlv2 auth = no

Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.10-115.el6_2]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Is there extra steps I have to do for Xubuntu? Anybody can kindly point
me to the right direction.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 AM
Luna Moon

Are you guys having trouble connecting to a samba shares? I know I
do, my Red Hat server has samba setup and it works great with windows
clients, but when I installed Xubuntu 12.04 I cannot connect to any of
the shares unless they have no log in. Like anonymous work fine but
others don't. I know i am typing the password correct but it won't
connect.

I have already have
client lanman auth = yes
client ntmlv2 auth = no

Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.10-115.el6_2]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Is there extra steps I have to do for Xubuntu? Anybody can kindly
point me to the right direction.
I fixed it already I'm thinking samba or it could be Linux(more thinking
samba) does not like passwords with certain symbols. I redid the
passwords to only numbers and letters though I like symbols but that is
a limitation I did not know I would face. I CentOS 6 samba take
passwords symbols correctly it could be a bug who knows.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Joshua O'Leary

[...]

What are you using to connect to the shares? Make sure cifs-utils is
installed, then in a terminal, try:
sudo mount.cifs //server/share /mnt/your-mount-point -o user=username
password=password

(change the fields for your details).

If you are using the server often, add it to /etc/fstab:
//server/share /mount/point cifs
credentials=path/to/credentials/file,utf8 0 0

To allow normal users to mount it, add:
//server/share /mount/point cifs
credentials=path/to/credentials/file,utf8,user 0 0

To prevent it from mounting at boot time, use
//server/share /mount/point cifs
credentials=path/to/credentials/file,utf8,noauto 0 0

A credentials file should just contain:
username=whateverusernameis
password=sharepassword

If you really want a gui method (slower, and not as reliable) make sure
gvfs-backends is installed, and browse shares under network in thunar
(or do control-L, and smb://server/share).

Hope this is of some help.
Joshua

Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Luna Moon

[...]

I was not mount shares(even though it does mount it somewhere for the
time being) it was really the password with symbols. Anyways its
working correctly now, thanks for the information.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM
uteck

Did you try escaping out the symbols with a before them?

[...]

//server/share /mount/point * *cifs * *credentials=path/to/credentials/file,utf8,user * *0 * *0

To prevent it from mounting at boot time, use

//server/share /mount/point * *cifs * *credentials=path/to/credentials/file,utf8,noauto * *0 * *0

Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Luna Moon

wrote:

[...]

I would not work even in the programs that uses GUI(that probably
use smbclient) like adding a printer from windows network GUI(cups).