-   -   keyboard layouts still buggy (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/660866-keyboard-layouts-still-buggy.html)

Wybo Dekker 04-29-2012 09:23 AM

keyboard layouts still buggy

Just installed 12.04. Works fine. But the xfce4-xkb-plugin still does
not do its job correctly. If you change the layout option or compose key
position, and after logging out and in, you'll have to do it all over again.
Why is such software not simply removed as long as it does not work?
I finally solved it by doing:

xmodmap
-e 'keycode 66 = Mode_switch Caps_Lock Mode_switch Caps_Lock'
-e 'keycode 135 = Multi_key Multi_key Multi_key Multi_key'

in my .bashrc file
--
Wybo

Joshua O'Leary 04-29-2012 02:28 PM

keyboard layouts still buggy

Just installed 12.04. Works fine. But the xfce4-xkb-plugin still does
not do its job correctly. If you change the layout option or compose key
position, and after logging out and in, you'll have to do it all over again.
Why is such software not simply removed as long as it does not work?
I finally solved it by doing:

xmodmap
-e 'keycode 66 = Mode_switch Caps_Lock Mode_switch Caps_Lock'
-e 'keycode 135 = Multi_key Multi_key Multi_key Multi_key'

in my .bashrc file
Does changing the keyboard layout under 'Keyboard' in the xfce settings
manager have any effect?

Wybo Dekker 04-30-2012 11:47 AM

On 2012-04-29 16:28, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> On 29/04/12 10:23, Wybo Dekker wrote:
>> Just installed 12.04. Works fine. But the xfce4-xkb-plugin still does
>> not do its job correctly. If you change the layout option or compose key
>> position, and after logging out and in, you'll have to do it all over
>> again.
>> Why is such software not simply removed as long as it does not work?
>> I finally solved it by doing:
>>
>> xmodmap
>> -e 'keycode 66 = Mode_switch Caps_Lock Mode_switch Caps_Lock'
>> -e 'keycode 135 = Multi_key Multi_key Multi_key Multi_key'
>>
>> in my .bashrc file
> Does changing the keyboard layout under 'Keyboard' in the xfce settings
> manager have any effect?

I have two layouts: us,euro and us,intl. That setting seems to be stable
between sessions. The other settings:
- Compose key position (which I want at Menu) and
- Change layout option (which I want at Caps Lock (while pressed)...)
disappear mostly (but not always) between sessions.

--
Wybo

Joshua O'Leary 04-30-2012 04:49 PM

[...]

When you logout, try seeing if checking the box 'Automatically save
session on logout' under Xfce Settings>Session and startup makes it any
better. This should preserve programs between sessions.

Wybo Dekker 04-30-2012 06:18 PM

On 2012-04-30 18:49, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> When you logout, try seeing if checking the box 'Automatically save
> session on logout' under Xfce Settings>Session and startup makes it any
> better. This should preserve programs between sessions.

same problem; plus: I had (just to try) k3b running om logout, it didn't
reopen after login...

--
Wybo