I have two machines, recently installed Xubutu on both.
One Ethernet works and the other does not.
Both use static IPs, 172.31.255., they talk to the
same router, and switching cables or router ports does
not help. Xubuntu on both is 7.10 Gutsy.
I used 1386 on both even though one is AMD, because
one will be an xterm to the other and it seemed easier
to just have one archtecture. The AMD is working, and
the INtel-based machine not, though, so architcture is
not the problem.
Working machine has an AMD CPU and onboard 10/100
network that uses Sundance driver.
One with problems is Core 2 duo on a Gigabyte board,
model #GA-G31M-S2L. GIgabyte docs say the gigabit
ethernet uses Realtek R8111B chip, and lspci says
8111/8168B, but the driver that is loading is R8169.
Could that be the problem?
pinging its own address, 172...2 works, but not the
router at .254 or other machine at .1. Router does
respond to pings from the other machine.
route -n gives results that look correct:
Destination Gateway Mask Flags Iface
172.31.255.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U eth0
0.0.0.0 172.31.255.254 0.0.0.0 UG eth0
(except there's another line for 169.254.0.0; how do I get rid of it?)
ifconfig eth0 looks OK too
inet addr: 172.31.255.2 Bcast: 172.31.255.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0
ethtool gives some results that look odd:
Supported ports: [FIBRE]
Supported link modes: 1000baseT/FULL
Supports auto-negotiation: yes
Speed: 1000 Mbps
Link detected: yes
Since the router is 10/100, this appears to be the wrong speed.
"ethtool -s eth0 speed 100" gives no error messages, but does
not solve the problem.
I tried "modprobe -r r8169" and then "modprobe r8169" to
re-insert it. After that, lsmod says it is there, but both ethtool
and ifconfig give "no such device"messages for eth0.
Not sure what to try next or how to diagnose the problem.
xubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
|All times are GMT. The time now is 02:16 AM.|
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.