-   -   Problem With Desktop When Starting X (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/62534-problem-desktop-when-starting-x.html)

Rich Shepard 04-01-2008 04:15 PM

Problem With Desktop When Starting X

I put xubuntu-7.10 on my wife's Toshiba Techra 8000. Yesterday, when she
booted the system, X came up but the panel did not load. This happens
occasionally (only since xfce4), and is usually fixed (in other
distributions) by right-clicking on the desktop and opening a virtual
terminal.

However, when I tried this, all I saw was a Xfce settings dialog box offering
to create a launcher as the best of four bad options. But, when I filled in
the command line with 'xterm', the OK button remained inactive.

How do you suggest I access a console so I can manually start xfce4-panel
running in the background, and have the session manager re-incorporate it
for the next boot?

Rich

Vincent 04-01-2008 04:24 PM

Problem With Desktop When Starting X

** I put xubuntu-7.10 on my wife's Toshiba Techra 8000. Yesterday, when she
booted the system, X came up but the panel did not load. This happens
occasionally (only since xfce4), and is usually fixed (in other

distributions) by right-clicking on the desktop and opening a virtual
terminal.

** However, when I tried this, all I saw was a Xfce settings dialog box offering
to create a launcher as the best of four bad options. But, when I filled in

the command line with 'xterm', the OK button remained inactive.

** How do you suggest I access a console so I can manually start xfce4-panel
running in the background, and have the session manager re-incorporate it

for the next boot?
Perhaps you could try pressing Alt+F2? Or you could directly create a launcher for xfce4-panel ;-)

Rich

--
Vincent

Rich Shepard 04-01-2008 04:38 PM

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Vincent wrote:

> Perhaps you could try pressing Alt+F2?

Vincent,

How interesting. I've used Xfce since version 1.0 and never knew of, or
used, Alt-F2 to run a program. It worked, of course, so I thank you. Now we
know how to fix xubuntu when the panel doesn't come up.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | Integrity Credibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Innovation

David Curtis 04-01-2008 08:44 PM

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Vincent wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you could try pressing Alt+F2?
>
> Vincent,
>
> How interesting. I've used Xfce since version 1.0 and never knew of, or
> used, Alt-F2 to run a program. It worked, of course, so I thank you. Now we
> know how to fix xubuntu when the panel doesn't come up.
>
> Rich

Don't know how you managed to lose the panel, but there should be hints
in /home/{user}/.xsession-errors.