Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Pasi Lallinaho

Default Next Xubuntu Community Meeting

Hello,

as I've had some problems in being able to attend the meetings by the
current schedule, the next meeting will exceptionally be held THURSDAY,
8th of November, at 18UTC [1].

The meeting agenda is at the Meetings wiki page [2] as usually. We
should be having a relatively short meeting, except for maybe the team
updates, which will be automatically marked as the team reports [3] too
as well as sent to the Ubuntu-release mailing list [4] to be able to
cooperate with other teams.

All this is to ease the burden from the bureaucracy for all of us, so
please try to stand with us with all the changes.

Yt,
Pasi

[1] http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111208T18
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/TeamReports/

Pasi Lallinaho (knome) » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Xubuntu and Shimmer Project » http://shimmerproject.org/
Graphic artist, webdesigner, Ubuntu member » http://xubuntu.org/

Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Hey,

the next Xubuntu community meeting is at
Thursday, October 24 at 15UTC
on #xubuntu-devel on the Freenode IRC network.

Agenda is in the Xubuntu wiki [1]. As usual, feel free to add items to
agenda as long as you are willing to outline and lead the discussion.

Cheers,
Pasi

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu » http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Benoit

I won't participate as for any irc meeting (I'm French and the
discussion is too quick for me).

But I want to point out an issue especially for a LTS version of
Xubuntu. The update manager should wipe older kernels (keep only the
last 3). When a version must work for a that long period, with old
computers with not that much space available, 250MB times 20 or 30 old
kernels still installed on that machines !!! It broke the system for
some of those 12.04LTS I followed up.

Cheers,
Benoit

Old 10-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Jackson Doak

Running "apt-get dist-upgrade" or "apt-get autoremove" normally fixes
that, but it's an issue none the less

Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

I don't think we should remove anything from the users' system without
his/her approval either.

Pasi

Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Bruno Benitez

I do not either, but it would be nice if there where an option somewhere to let people clean it and choose the amount of kernels they want to keep or a particular one, or something like that. Like if the user would search for the kernels on synaptic and choose the ones to remove or keep, but simplified

I don't think we should remove anything from the users' system without

his/her approval either.

Pasi

On 18/10/13 00:03, Jackson Doak wrote:

> Running "apt-get dist-upgrade" or "apt-get autoremove" normally fixes

> that, but it's an issue none the less

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Benoit <frombenny@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

>> I won't participate as for any irc meeting (I'm French and the discussion is

>> too quick for me).

>> But I want to point out an issue especially for a LTS version of Xubuntu.

>> The update manager should wipe older kernels (keep only the last 3). When a

>> version must work for a that long period, with old computers with not that

>> much space available, 250MB times 20 or 30 old kernels still installed on

>> that machines !!! It broke the system for some of those 12.04LTS I followed

>> up.

>> Cheers,

>> Benoit

>> Le 17/10/2013 20:50, Pasi Lallinaho a écrit :

>>> Hey,

>>> the next Xubuntu community meeting is at

>>> * * Thursday, October 24 at 15UTC

>>> on #xubuntu-devel on the Freenode IRC network.

>>> Agenda is in the Xubuntu wiki [1]. As usual, feel free to add items to

>>> agenda as long as you are willing to outline and lead the discussion.

>>> Cheers,

>>> Pasi

>>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings

>> --

Pasi Lallinaho (knome) * * * * * * * * * * *» http://open.knome.fi/

Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu * * * » http://shimmerproject.org/

Graphic artist, webdesigner, Ubuntu member *» http://xubuntu.org/

Bruno.-

Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Joan Advincula

Something like BleachBit?

- Joan

ReMo | http://theorangeskipper.wordpress.com

@iamMJae | http://jauntyskipper.wordpress.com
http://knightingale.wordpress.com

Old 10-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Benoit

All that answers are for guys like us. We can manage that issues.

But for a newcomer, who only uses the Ubuntu Software Center, with
no skils at all about the command line,.. He just doesn't know he
should have to maintain his distribution other than accept the
frequent updates...

I have 4 relatives who have a Xubuntu I had installed for them. They
are only users. They won't go inside the system to know how it works
because in their former MSWindows environment it wasn't possible...
What size of system partition I should prepare to keep 5 years of
update ? Some of that relatives won't show up till next LTS
release... or a fix to make (Xubuntu works fine except that issue
and window decorator for one of the installations).

Most of that kernels won't be used anymore... For Ubuntu studio, we
can keep 3 generic kernels, 3 real time kernels,..

Benoit

Le 18/10/2013 11:27, Joan Advincula a

wrote:

>> I won't participate as for any irc
meeting (I'm French and the discussion is

>> too quick for me).

>> But I want to point out an issue
especially for a LTS version of Xubuntu.

>> The update manager should wipe older
kernels (keep only the last 3). When a

>> version must work for a that long
period, with old computers with not that

>> much space available, 250MB times 20
or 30 old kernels still installed on

>> that machines !!! It broke the system
for some of those 12.04LTS I followed

>> up.

>> Cheers,

>> Benoit

>> Le 17/10/2013 20:50, Pasi Lallinaho a
écrit :

>>> Hey,

>>> the next Xubuntu community
meeting is at

>>> * * Thursday, October 24 at 15UTC

>>> on #xubuntu-devel on the Freenode
IRC network.

>>> Agenda is in the Xubuntu wiki
[1]. As usual, feel free to add items to

>>> agenda as long as you are willing
to outline and lead the discussion.

>>> Cheers,

>>> Pasi

>>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings

>> --

Pasi Lallinaho (knome) * * * * * * * * * * *»
http://open.knome.fi/