-   -   speeding up Xubuntu 7.10 by upgrading kernel to 686? (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/6011-speeding-up-xubuntu-7-10-upgrading-kernel-686-a.html)

Radomir Dopieralski 11-27-2007 04:19 AM

speeding up Xubuntu 7.10 by upgrading kernel to 686?

Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 09:12:40PM -0800:
> install a kernel for a 686. The documentation said to type "sudo
> apt-get install linux-686" from the command line. I was logged in as
> root, so I typed the above w/out "sudo". I got a bunch of errors, all
> of which contained the text "Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical
> block".

I don't want to worry you, but these kinds of errors usually mean
a hardware failure of the sda1 disk (probably a hard disk in this case).

Try booting in the recovery mode and running fsck on that disk, possibly
with -c option to check for bad blocks.

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski <http://sheep.art.pl>
/ <www.asciiribbon.org> - against proprietary attachments

"Feliciano Garcia" 11-27-2007 12:29 PM

speeding up Xubuntu 7.10 by upgrading kernel to 686?

Really,*686 Kernel, speed up xubuntu at celeron processors?? Is that recomendable?? any conflicts???