Old 03-19-2008, 06:38 PM
"Stoos, Ralph"

Default Help with hosts file

All,

*

I am having a problem with Xubuntu not recognizing my host
name. *I just loaded Xubuntu this morning and did all the updates etc. The
system worked fine when I used DHCP to supply an address but, when I switched
over to a static IP, I got this message:*

*

“Could not look up Internet address for lugx. *This
will prevent Xfce from operating correctly. *It may be possible to correct the
problem by adding lugx to the file /etc/hosts on your system.”

*

I am behind a firewall and the proxy information is entered
properly. *This host file issue seems to be causing the network interface to
not come up.

*

Any help would be appreciated.* I really don’t want to
reload the system

*

Ralph H. Stoos Jr.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Ged

Stoos, Ralph wrote:

> All,
>
> I am having a problem with Xubuntu not recognizing my host name. I
> just loaded Xubuntu this morning and did all the updates etc. The
> system worked fine when I used DHCP to supply an address but, when I
> switched over to a static IP, I got this message:
>
> “Could not look up Internet address for lugx. This will prevent Xfce
> from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by
> adding lugx to the file /etc/hosts on your system.”
>
> I am behind a firewall and the proxy information is entered properly.
> This host file issue seems to be causing the network interface to not
> come up.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I really don’t want to reload the system
>
> *Ralph H. Stoos Jr.*

I had this error message. A friend told me to make ged-desktop the same
as localhost, so in my etc/hosts file I have this now:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 ged-desktop

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

I don't remember what was there originally but it worked. I don't know
if it will help you.

Here's hoping
Ged.