Old 02-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default possibility to replace firefox with lightweight browsers (such as webkit and kazahakase) at hardy+1

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 10:19 +0000, Vincent wrote:

> On 16/02/2008, Mark Farnell <mark.farnell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently Xubuntu is becoming more and more bulky and less
> suitable
> for old machines, thus defeating the original purpose of
> Xubuntu. One
> of the contributor for the bulkiness (and slow running) is
> firefox.
> Would it be likely for firefox to be replaced by something
> lighter
> such as kazahakase? Kazahakase is already used as the
> default
> browser in fluxbuntu and it is more stable than other
> lightweight
> browsers such as midori (webkit based). In fact I am writing
> this
> email using kazahakase installed on my Xubuntu laptop.
>
> What do you think?
>
> I could not find a homepage of Kazahakase, but I very much appreciate
> Epiphany and if it would change to WebKit it's a very liable option
> IMHO.
>

> Mark
>
> Best,
> --
> Vincent

I can't tell where Kazahakase is in development at this point, but here
is the home page:
http://kazehakase.sourceforge.jp/

It is in english, although a little difficult to navigate. According to
the Fluxbuntu FAQ, "The version of Kazehakase included in Fluxbuntu uses
the Gecko engine, the same engine powering Firefox." It can not use
firefox plugins and addons, though.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz