Old 02-16-2008, 05:04 AM
"Mark Farnell"

Default possibility to replace firefox with lightweight browsers (such as webkit and kazahakase) at hardy+1

Currently Xubuntu is becoming more and more bulky and less suitable
for old machines, thus defeating the original purpose of Xubuntu. One
of the contributor for the bulkiness (and slow running) is firefox.
Would it be likely for firefox to be replaced by something lighter
such as kazahakase? Kazahakase is already used as the default
browser in fluxbuntu and it is more stable than other lightweight
browsers such as midori (webkit based). In fact I am writing this
email using kazahakase installed on my Xubuntu laptop.

What do you think?

Mark

Old 02-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Vincent

Currently Xubuntu is becoming more and more bulky and less suitable
for old machines, thus defeating the original purpose of Xubuntu.**One
of the contributor for the bulkiness (and slow running) is firefox.
Would it be likely for firefox to be replaced by something lighter

such as**kazahakase?**Kazahakase is already used as the default
browser in fluxbuntu and it is more stable than other lightweight
browsers such as midori (webkit based).**In fact I am writing this
email using kazahakase installed on my Xubuntu laptop.

What do you think?
I could not find a homepage of Kazahakase, but I very much appreciate Epiphany and if it would change to WebKit it's a very liable option IMHO.

Mark

Best,
--
Vincent

Old 02-16-2008, 04:29 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

It should be noted that the next version of Xubuntu includes Firefox 3 which is suppose to be faster and lighter.

Cheers,

Cody

On Feb 16, 2008 9:56 AM, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 10:19 +0000, Vincent wrote:

> On 16/02/2008, Mark Farnell <mark.farnell@gmail.com> wrote:
> * * * * Currently Xubuntu is becoming more and more bulky and less
> * * * * suitable

> * * * * for old machines, thus defeating the original purpose of
> * * * * Xubuntu. *One
> * * * * of the contributor for the bulkiness (and slow running) is
> * * * * firefox.
> * * * * Would it be likely for firefox to be replaced by something

> * * * * lighter
> * * * * such as *kazahakase? *Kazahakase is already used as the
> * * * * default
> * * * * browser in fluxbuntu and it is more stable than other
> * * * * lightweight
> * * * * browsers such as midori (webkit based). *In fact I am writing

> * * * * this
> * * * * email using kazahakase installed on my Xubuntu laptop.
>
> * * * * What do you think?
>
> I could not find a homepage of Kazahakase, but I very much appreciate

> Epiphany and if it would change to WebKit it's a very liable option
> IMHO.
>

> * * * * Mark
>
> Best,
> --
> Vincent

I can't tell where Kazahakase is in development at this point, but here

is the home page:
http://kazehakase.sourceforge.jp/

It is in english, although a little difficult to navigate. According to
the Fluxbuntu FAQ, "The version of Kazehakase included in Fluxbuntu uses

the Gecko engine, the same engine powering Firefox." It can not use
firefox plugins and addons, though.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]

Cody A.W. Somerville

Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Vincent

On 16/02/2008, Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 10:19 +0000, Vincent wrote:

> On 16/02/2008, Mark Farnell <mark.farnell@gmail.com> wrote:
>******** Currently Xubuntu is becoming more and more bulky and less

>******** suitable
>******** for old machines, thus defeating the original purpose of
>******** Xubuntu.**One
>******** of the contributor for the bulkiness (and slow running) is
>******** firefox.

>******** Would it be likely for firefox to be replaced by something
>******** lighter
>******** such as**kazahakase?**Kazahakase is already used as the
>******** default
>******** browser in fluxbuntu and it is more stable than other

>******** lightweight
>******** browsers such as midori (webkit based).**In fact I am writing
>******** this
>******** email using kazahakase installed on my Xubuntu laptop.
>
>******** What do you think?

> I could not find a homepage of Kazahakase, but I very much appreciate
> Epiphany and if it would change to WebKit it's a very liable option
> IMHO.
>

>******** Mark
>

> Best,
> --
> Vincent

I can't tell where Kazahakase is in development at this point, but here
is the home page:
http://kazehakase.sourceforge.jp/

It is in english, although a little difficult to navigate. According to
the Fluxbuntu FAQ, "The version of Kazehakase included in Fluxbuntu uses
the Gecko engine, the same engine powering Firefox." It can not use

firefox plugins and addons, though.
*A version like that could definitely not be included in Xubuntu.

But, as Cody said, I'd await Firefox 3, I've read that it'd be very nice, in addition to the performance improvements.

Btw, does anyone know what the status of Ubufox is? Will it be upgraded for Fx 3? (TBH, I hope not...)

good luck,