Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Panels in Oneiric Ocelot

Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 07-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Bruno Benitez

2011/7/25 Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com>

The time is now.

The place is here.

It involves all of us.

We use two panels in Xubuntu. In Natty, using Xfce 4.8, we put the top

panel to use more, and created a second, auto-hiding panel on the

bottom with the most used launchers. We would like to know what, if

anything, the users would change about these panels.

Some of the questions we would like answered:

1. Are the colors good?

2. What launchers would you like added or removed?

3. Are any panel applets missing?

4. Are there too many panel applets?

5. Anything you would like to add?

We are looking for constructive criticism to make Oneiric's panels

easier to use. Please give us your opinions and changes.

Thanks to all the Xubuntu users. We do value your comments.

- --

Charlie Kravetz

Xubuntu Project Lead

Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]

I would like to say how i do things, that won't really mean it's how it should be done or anything, its just my experience using menus and as such i guess its a simple opinion.

When I install xubuntu, the very first thing I do is to change the panels, L place the Menu panel, the one whit the "Start Menu", at the bottom and change it to actually show "Start" instead of only the Xubuntu logo, I know thats a very windowslike thing to do, but a lot of people who uses my computer comes from that world, and it just work.

Then i add an autohidable panel on top, one that has expandable size and i center it. why? because if its centered and don't use the whole space when I have Maximazed windows and i want to Iconize them, or Close or what ever, that Panel wont interfere whit that desired action, actually this is the main reason why I always change the Start Menu Panel to the bottom, so it wont interfere whit the window managing(?) icons ( _ [] X).

In this top panel i like to have a launcher for:

Internet (a firefox and a chromium launcher as of today)
IM (an expandable box whit emesene, empathy and xchat launchers)
Music (exaile, decibel-audio-player and audacious)

Editors (Abiword, Audacious, Inkscape, Irfanview(trough wine))

And then a few folder launchers, my /home, the /mnt/hd and two other folders for mine and my brothers particular folders, and the trashbin.

I don't know if this helps or not but thats it.

--
Bruno.-