Old 07-23-2011, 02:59 AM
Mike Kupfer

Default The Network Manager applet has vanished from the top panel in Ubuntu 8.10

D. Hoogland wrote:

> What do I have to do to get the connection to the Internet back again?

I would try to (re)start nm-applet. Start a terminal window (under
Accessories from the Applications menu), then type the command

nm-applet

(followed by pressing the Enter key).

mike

Old 07-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Mike Kupfer

D. Hoogland wrote:

> Thank you for your help. After I gave in the command I got the
> following reply:
>
> An instance of nm-applet is already running.
> ** (nm-applet:1840): WARNING **: <WARN> constructor():
> Couldn't initialize the D-bus manager.

Okay, so nm-applet is already running, but it's not showing itself in
your panel.

In your original post, you wrote

> Until a couple of weeks ago when I suddenly noticed that the
> Network Manager applet no longer was visible next to the clock in the
> top hand right corner of my screen.

Do you know if there are other applets/icons missing, such as the volume
control or the power manager applet? It may be that you lost the
Notification Area. If that's the problem, you could try putting it
back. To do this, right-click on any item in the panel and select "Add
New Items". Then scroll down to Notification Area, select it, and click
on Add.

mike