Old 07-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Steffen Schwarz

Default Power saving options on Xubuntu?

Greetings everyone!

So I toyed around with different *Ubuntu shapes and forms and eventually settled for Xubuntu 11.04. to breathe some youth into my Toshiba NB205.

It basically works very well but I am missing a feature that would allow me to set the power policy so as to save battery power as much as possible when the laptop is not connected to the AC.

While experimenting with different *ubuntu versions I saw that one of the Kubuntu releases (I think it was 10.04.x) has an excellent feature that allows the user to chose between different power saving policies (e.g. "extreme power saving", "power saving", "maximum performance" etc). With that and the setting set to "extreme power saving" I managed to get over eight hours of battery life.

While Xubuntu has a basic power management feature, it does not really offer much choice and I only get between five and six hours of battery life out of it. When I switch back to Windows XP, which does have a very neat power policy feature, I get again over eight hours, so it's not the battery that's at fault.

I looked inside the synaptic package manager and the software center but could not find anything.

I also looked everywhere for some more information about this but couldn't find anything either.

Neither do I want to go back to Kubuntu as otherwise Xubuntu 11.04 works very well and is overall faster than Kubuntu.

Any hints would be most appreciated!!

Steff