Old 07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Mike Kupfer

Default How to disable caps-lock. xmodmap way does not work anymore?

Lee Gold wrote:

> So I take it there's no way to disable caps lock?

[...]
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 09:11 +0100, "Karim REKIK" <wkrekik@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Similar problem with disabling capslock (Xubuntu 11.04).
> > Xmodmap works if I launch the command in a terminal or by a bash script.
> > The
> > problem is in autostart mode : the command works for few seconds but is
> > curiously overwrited after that.

Lee, does xmodmap work if you invoke it manually, just not when used at
startup? Awhile back I had a problem where my xmodmap command wasn't
working right at startup, though that was with GNOME, not Xfce. I ended
up hacking around the problem as follows:

1. create a shell script that invokes xmodmap. Mine looked like this:

#!/bin/sh
# It seems that the keyboard mapping gets (re)set after this if it
# runs immediately, so add a pause.
sleep 5
xmodmap $HOME/.xmodmap.i386

2. Add an entry to the Application Autostart list that runs your
shell script.

HTH,

mike