Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 PM
"josh"

Default I want to use xubuntu

Hi,

I want to use xubuntu but I am blind. I was told that certain gnome
libraries need to be installed in order for orca which uses at-spi for
accessibility can be used with xubuntu. Also is there a version of skype for
the xubuntu linux distribution?
I also hope someone can create audio games for linux. for examples of audio
games see www.gmagames.com www.kitchensinc.net and www.pcsgames.net . they
are games played entirely with sound that uses positions in the stereo field
and other ambient sounds and music for blind people to play them. If there
is such an equivalent to DirectX for xubuntu XFCE or Gnome or both and audio
games could be created that would be great. Also it would be cool to have a
good OCR program that works with XFCE and gnome xubuntu and ubuntu so blind
people can scan print and save it as text in several languages such as
english spanish and german french italian icelandic, norwegian and Finnish
OCR.

Josh

email: jkenn337@gmail.com
skype: jkenn337
msn: kenn6498ku@hotmail.com

Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Vincent

I want to use xubuntu but I am blind. I was told that certain gnome

libraries need to be installed in order for orca which uses at-spi for
accessibility can be used with xubuntu.
That might be true, should be no problem though.

Yes, you can find instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype

I also hope someone can create audio games for linux. for examples of audio
games see www.gmagames.com www.kitchensinc.net and www.pcsgames.net . they

are games played entirely with sound that uses positions in the stereo field
and other ambient sounds and music for blind people to play them. If there
is such an equivalent to DirectX
I know that the open source DirectX equivalent is OpenGL. not sure whether there are any audio games, though you can search through the application installer once you're using Xubuntu.

Josh
Best,
--
Vincent

Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 PM
"josh"

hey if there are any developers on this list please
please make xubuntu accessible with the orca screen reader if possible. I'd
really like to be able to use it.
*
Josh
*

[...]