Old 01-31-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Looking for help, users and items listed.

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive me for posting to this group but I am not a fortune 500
company with deep pockets. I simply wanted to introduce an idea to
everyone that may give everyone even more freedom in the marketplace of
computing.

I got to thinking sometime back. Would it be possible to have a community
driven computer vendor?

Being a long time Ubuntu user. I realized that with Ubuntu/Linux on the
rise and at a point of everyday usability for anyone and without the need
for licensing the community driven computer vendor was possible.

So I decided to take an auction style approach with a spin and a focus of
Ubuntu/Linux based complete and usuable systems and allow anyone or
company to list there inventory.

Keeping in the spirit of OpenSource and Ubuntu I decided to keep the site
completely free with no site fees, store fees, or closing cost fees.

Below is our definition of a community based computer vendor.

1. Anyone can list their inventory of GNU/Linux based computers on our
auction style store.

2. Everyones system listed is preconfigured with a complete GNU/Linux
desktop or server OS.

3. Placing and fulfilling custom order systems can be achieved using the
wanted area of our site.

4. Together we can provide support for and find help through our community
based support forums.

5. Our advertising, popularity and success depends on all of us, our
support and the systems we offer.

Needless to say Ourbuntu.com has not been officially launched yet we are
looking for help, users and items listed before going forward with the
press release.

Please take some time and explore the site and let me know of any
suggestions you may have. Better still would be to register and maybe list
of few of your computers or maybe even buy one lol.

Thanks for reading.
your friend
Ronnie Whisler
Ourbuntu.com

P.S.
Don't worry I won't be posting here often and didn't mean to offend anyone.

If you would like to visit the site http://www.ourbuntu.com

Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 PM
"Jim Campbell"

I see that you are trying to build this as a community effort, but have you received permission to use the Ubuntu trademark in your name?* Please read the Ubuntu trademark policy [1].* If you have not received permission to use the trademark, then you may be in violation of it as a commercial interest.

*
Jim
*
[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
*

Old 01-31-2008, 06:51 PM

I am still waiting for a response in regards to the buntu part of the
domain name. I am hoping that Ubuntu will see the site for what it is. A
community driven computer vendor showcasing Ubuntu and promoting freedom
for buyers and sellers.

I like to think of it more as an artform really, since any technically
talented individual is now capable of creating a "perfect desktop/server"
thanks to the flexibility of Ubuntu/Linux.

And have a place to showcase/sell his work and accomplishments.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:15 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:42:32 -0700 (MST), advertising wrote
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Please forgive me for posting to this group but I am not a fortune 500
> company with deep pockets. I simply wanted to introduce an idea to
> everyone that may give everyone even more freedom in the marketplace of
> computing.

Normally I would scoff at something like this being posted on the list, but I think your
concept is very interesting and could indeed help many schools as well. I have a
computer company on the side besides just working for my schools. We often sell
workstations and servers to businesses. This might be an easy way for a company like
mine to pre-configure a LTSP server for schools and sell for a small profit, while
providing them an out of the box system ready for clients.

Interesting....I'll check out the site now.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 09:15:14 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:42:32 -0700 (MST), advertising wrote
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > Please forgive me for posting to this group but I am not a fortune 500
> > company with deep pockets. I simply wanted to introduce an idea to
> > everyone that may give everyone even more freedom in the marketplace of
> > computing.
>
> Normally I would scoff at something like this being posted on the list, but I
> think your concept is very interesting and could indeed help many schools as
> well. I have a computer company on the side besides just working for my
> schools. We often sell workstations and servers to businesses. This might be
> an easy way for a company like mine to pre-configure a LTSP server for schools
> and sell for a small profit, while providing them an out of the box system
> ready for clients.
>
> Interesting....I'll check out the site now.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Only thing here that seems a little odd is the domain name. It is called Ourbuntu, but
it looks as though any Linux operating system could be offered. The name seems a little
misleading or possibly too narrow. It sounds like it is Ubuntu derivatives only. Quick
thought that popped in my head is something like opensystems.com (unfortunately a check
shows that is owned by Tucows Inc.). But such a name would imply that they are
computers systems with open licenses, not Ubuntu only.

Other than that it looks very nice.

Jim