Old 11-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Canol Gokel

Default Changing my monitors DPI setting

Hi, I have installed Xubuntu 7.10 but the fonts are really small because the DPI is set to 83 instead of 96. How can I change this setting permenantly in 7.10? I know how to change it on older versions but it does not work on 7.10...
*Canol Gokel

Hacettepe Robot Toplulugu - Sineyorum

Yahoo! kullaniyor musunuz?

Istenmeyen postadan biktiniz mi? Istenmeyen postadan en iyi korunma
Yahoo! Posta'da
http://tr.mail.yahoo.com--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 11-25-2007, 04:49 AM
hex1a4

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007, Canol Gokel wrote:

> Hi, I have installed Xubuntu 7.10 but the fonts are really small because the DPI is set to 83 instead of 96. How can I change this setting permenantly in 7.10? I know how to change it on older versions but it does not work on 7.10...

Canol Gokel

Hacettepe Robot Toplulugu - Sineyorum

Hi,

You have to add/change 'DisplaySize' in the "Monitor" section in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Unfortunatelly what you have to change it to depends on your monitor.
Just google around and you should be able to find the right info--it's how
I did it.

Yahoo! kullaniyor musunuz? http://tr.mail.yahoo.com

--
hex1a4.net || xubuntu.mirror.hex1a4.net || art.gallery.hex1a4.net

Old 11-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Canol Gokel

Unfortunately it didn't worked either. When I configured it, the monitor changed into 640*480 and when I restarted the computer it returned to the old settings although the new lines on xorg.conf were still there. But I will try it again.

*Canol Gokel

Hacettepe Robot Toplulugu - Sineyorum

[xubuntu-users] Changing my monitors DPI setting

Old 11-25-2007, 03:03 PM
hex1a4

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Canol Gokel wrote:

> Unfortunately it didn't worked either. When I configured it, the monitor changed into 640*480 and when I restarted the computer it returned to the old settings although the new lines on xorg.conf were still there. But I will try it again.

You probably set the wrong values. Anyway, if that didn't work try the
following:

If you're using the 'nvidia' driver add this to your "Device" section of
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Option "UseEdidDpi" "False"
Option "DPI" "96 x 96"

AND add

Xft.dpi: 96

to ~/.config/xfce/Xft.xrdb

You might also want to try starting X with the -dpi 96 option by
adding it in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

PS please post your replies below the post and not above.
--
hex1a4.net || xubuntu.mirror.hex1a4.net || art.gallery.hex1a4.net

Old 11-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Canol Gokel

> Unfortunately it didn't worked either. When I configured it, the
monitor changed into 640*480 and when I restarted the computer it returned
to the old settings although the new lines on xorg.conf were still
there. But I will try it again.

You probably set the wrong values.* Anyway, if that didn't work try the

following:

If you're using the 'nvidia' driver add this to your "Device" section
of
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Option "UseEdidDpi" "False"
Option "DPI" "96 x 96"

AND add

Xft.dpi: 96

to ~/.config/xfce/Xft.xrdb

You might also want to try starting X with the -dpi 96 option by
adding it in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

PS please post your replies below the post and not above.
--
hex1a4.net || xubuntu.mirror.hex1a4.net || art.gallery.hex1a4.net

I controlled my settings over and over from different sites and it is right I think. My Monitor is a standard Samsung CRT monitor.

I use Intel driver, I think, because it is an Intel onboard graphics card.

The problem is that there is no "~/.config/xfce/Xft.xrdb" file in my installation (I checked the "show hidden files" option)* I don't know if it something with Xubuntu 7.10 but there is no file called like that on that folder. I tried to create one myself but it didn't changed anything.
Maybe it is somewhere else? I couldn't find something called "Find File" in Xubuntu so I cannot search for it, maybe I should write a script with Python or something

I tried -dpi 96 solution (it was set to 100) but nothing happened again

I had this problem with Fedora, too, but I could manage to change it via control panel. I don't have such a problem in Ubuntu and Pardus distributions.

By the way, why should I reply below the message, my mail program automatically puts me to above it (and no option to change that (Yahoo! Mail))

Thanks for your reply...

Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM
"Jimmy Wu"

By the way, why should I reply below the message, my mail program automatically puts me to above it (and no option to change that (Yahoo! Mail))

*From someone else's sig that I saw:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

--