Old 07-24-2010, 02:22 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

Default $@$@$&%#%& Nvidia card... HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer) But no sound card

It would appear that on Jul 13, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook did say:

> It would appear that on Jul 11, Robin did say:
>
> > Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> >
> > > Would anyone have a clue what I can do to be able to listen to my .wav
> > > files while using Xubuntu Karmic???
> >
> > For some reason that I still cannot fathom, PulseAudio has made its way into
> > Lucid Xubuntu. Karmic worked flawlessly for me, and it was Lucid that had no
> > sound until I completely removed PulseAudio (replacing it with ALSA and esound).
> > Yours sounds like the exact opposite problem! Weird.
>
> AhYucketh! When I first noticed the lack of sound the first thing I did was to
> check that PulseAudio wasn't installed. That thing left a bad taste in my
> mouth back before I gave up on using Kubuntu... But while I think it's possible
> that on some systems PulseAudio might even be a good choice, I don't think
> this is an PulseAudio vs. Alsa thing because back then Both PulseAudio AND
> Alsa were at least able to "detect" the sound card even if it only
> responded to one of them. But in this case I can't find a mixer that can
> detect the sound card at all...
>
> Ah well. If the only thing I can't get working is the sound. Then my
> Xubuntu will still make a good fallback distro to Arch & PCLinuxOS. And who
> knows. Maybe when i upgrade it to Lucid, it could be that the problem will
> solve itself. I'll just have to find and read the directions on how to do
> that. {as the last time I successfully upgraded a 'buntu system to the next
> release it was back when the Kubuntu method was to edit the release names
> in the sources list and do an apt-get dist-upgrade But I understand that
> doesn't work any more...}

OK Now that I've upgraded to Lucid via the "do-release-upgrade" cli tool
I've still got sound issues... <sigh>

Of course the upgrade dumped pulseaudio on me. The alsamixergui described
all the soundcard options as one kind of pulseadio "dummy" or another.
Neither dummy option worked. So I did an "apt-get purge pulseaudio" and
an "apt-get install alsa esound"... Now I get the same results as before,
no soundcard is detected. Since I know from my other Linux installs that
the sound is part of the on-board Nvidia GeForce I thought it might have
something to do with the Nvidia driver.

The "Hardware Drivers" tool offers 3 Nvidia drivers

Version 173
Version 96
Version current "recommended"

I've now tried all three <sigh> But nothing seems to make Xubuntu recognize
the existence of the onboard sound-card (sigh)

If anybody has a clue or theory that might get Xubuntu to actually find and
use "HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer)" like my other Linux do I'd really like to
hear it...

--
| ^^^ ^^^
| <o> <o> Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
| ^ J(tWdy)P
| ___ <<jtwdyp@ttlc.net>>

<sigh>

Old 07-24-2010, 06:03 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Jul 23, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook did say:

> If anybody has a clue or theory that might get Xubuntu to actually find and
> use "HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer)" like my other Linux do I'd really like to
> hear it...

I found out that this is a permission thing of some kind. Though I note
that my user is a member of both the sound & video groups. (full group
data at bottom of message...) so I don't know why I can't use the Nvidia
sound card...

I note: none of the gui mixers work, alsamixergui exits with an error
pop-up that says:

"alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory"

And if I run the ncurses based "alsamixer" in a console:

JtWdyP -> /home/jtwdyp
> alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
JtWdyP -> /home/jtwdyp

Yet IF I run it as root it works...

Likewise if I run mocp as root it works. & I can play music. But if I run
it as me...:

JtWdyP -> /home/jtwdyp
> mocp
Running the server...
Trying JACK...
Trying ALSA...
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4154_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4154_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4154_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4633snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2211snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
Trying OSS...

FATAL_ERROR: No valid sound driver

FATAL_ERROR: Server exited

JtWdyP -> /home/jtwdyp

These are the groups I've added my user to...

adm:x:4:mvjap3,jtwdyp
dialout:x:20:mvjap3,jtwdyp
fax:x:21:mvjap3,jtwdyp
voice:x:22:mvjap3,jtwdyp
cdrom:x:24:mvjap3,jtwdyp
floppy:x:25:mvjap3,jtwdyp
audio:x:29:mvjap3,jtwdyp
video:x:44:mvjap3,jtwdyp
plugdev:x:46:mvjap3,jtwdyp
games:x:60:mvjap3,jtwdyp
users:x:100:mvjap3,jtwdyp
lpadmin:x:107:mvjap3,jtwdyp
admin:x:114:mvjap3,jtwdyp
sambashare:x:118:mvjap3,jtwdyp

So does anyone know how I can fix this????

Old 07-24-2010, 07:57 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Jul 23, John Alfred Nathanael Chee did say:

> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 23:03, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp@ttlc.net> wrote:
> > Yet IF I run it as root it works...
> >
> > Likewise if I run mocp as root it works. & I can play music. But if I run
> > it as me...:
>
> Can you post the output of:
>
> $ ls -al /dev | grep audio

A Thanks John, That seems to be the exact problem. I used the below output
as a guide. And did "chmod 666" each of these devices. Then my regular
user, and the (startx initiated gui) could fire up mixers etc...
When I rebooted it still worked so I presume these permissions won't get
changed back on me.... Thanks again!

crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 14, 12 2010-07-23 23:03 adsp
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 14, 4 2010-07-23 23:03 audio
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 14, 3 2010-07-23 23:03 dsp