Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 PM
"Gary Crosby"

Default attaching new ipod to xubuntu

My wife got me an ipod for Christmas (she found them on sale), one of
the new 3rd generation Nanos. Unfortunately gtkpod does not list it as
yet in its available models. The latest version apparently does, but
does that mean I will have to install that to get it to work, is it
going to be added to gutsy soon, or is there a repository that I can
get it from?

The ipod shows up on the desktop just nicely.

<rant> I would rather be able to just drag & drop, enough of this
wading through folders & obscure gui's, ;^)</rant>

thanks

gary

Old 01-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Vincent

My wife got me an ipod for Christmas (she found them on sale), one of
the new 3rd generation Nanos. Unfortunately gtkpod does not list it as
yet in its available models. The latest version apparently does, but
does that mean I will have to install that to get it to work, is it

going to be added to gutsy soon, or is there a repository that I can
get it from?
I'd keep an eye on GetDeb.net.

Unfortunately, Apple added some layer of encryption or something that made it a lot more difficult for third-party developers to support it.

The ipod shows up on the desktop just nicely.

<rant> I would rather be able to just drag & drop, enough of this

wading through folders & obscure gui's, ;^)</rant>
I'd prefer that too. In fact, when I bought my G2 Nano, I wanted to put Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/
) on it which would allow me to do just that. Unfortunately, they also added something to the G2 Nano that made it a lot of work for the Rockbox developers to get to support it, so it's still no possible. That was the last time I bought an Apple product

thanks

gary
--
Vincent