Old 12-27-2008, 12:07 AM
"leegold"

Default Xubuntu freezes keyboard and mouse

hi,

I was downloading files w/Synaptic and possibly the server was congested
- in any event the file would not download for synaptic to install. When
this happened my keyboard freezed and my mouse/touchpad freezed. The
only way out I could find was to press the start button on my laptop and
reboot.

This is disturbing. There should always be a way to kill it. But if my
keyboard/mouse doesn't work how can I recover w/out a hard reboot? The
little circle that turns when there's a download was there but didn't
turn. After a few minutes I rebooted...

Old 12-27-2008, 12:20 AM
David Collins

Lee,

There might be a better solution than this, but if your XFCE session freezes, you should be able to press Ctrl-Alt-F1 which will give you a text screen where you can logon again.* You can then run 'ps -u username' to see what processes are running in your XFCE session, and use the 'kill' command (run 'man kill' for help on options) to kill offending processes.* When you are done, press Ctrl-Alt-F7 - this will return you to your XFCE session which hopefully might be responsive again.

Regards,

David

Old 12-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Vincent

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 2:20 AM, David Collins <david.8.collins@gmail.com> wrote:

Lee,

There might be a better solution than this, but if your XFCE session freezes, you should be able to press Ctrl-Alt-F1 which will give you a text screen where you can logon again.* You can then run 'ps -u username' to see what processes are running in your XFCE session, and use the 'kill' command (run 'man kill' for help on options) to kill offending processes.* When you are done, press Ctrl-Alt-F7 - this will return you to your XFCE session which hopefully might be responsive again.

Also, you can try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. This will restart your Xserver, which means that you'll be taken back to the login screen. Do note that you'll lose any saved data.
(Now that I'm talking: if a single application crashed, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Esc, then clicking the window to kill it

*

Regards,

David

--
Vincent

Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 AM
Marko Oreskovic

Vincent wrote:
> (Now that I'm talking: if a single application crashed, try pressing
> Ctrl+Alt+Esc, then clicking the window to kill it
And be carefull where you click to not to kill something you don`t want
to , instead.

And also killing application`s gui with ctrl+alt+esc does not means
that actual application is dead.
You may go to ps -A | grep application to find application and kill it
or do it with System>System monitor to do the same.
If application runs as other user, you might neet to use sudo kill.