Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Foxy

Default change keyboard layout

I am struggling to configure a shortcut to switch keyboard layout. I set
the layouts I need in Settings Manager/Keyboard/Layouts but cannot find
how to configure a keyboard shortcut to switch between these layouts.
Any help please?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Marko Oreskovic

Foxy wrote:
> I am struggling to configure a shortcut to switch keyboard layout. I set
> the layouts I need in Settings Manager/Keyboard/Layouts but cannot find
> how to configure a keyboard shortcut to switch between these layouts.
> Any help please?

Newer version of xfce4-xkb-plugin (0.5.1) inside jaunty uses GUI setup
for setting keyboard shortcut for layout switching.

You could post a bug with request of porting 0.5.1 to Hardy-backports or
to Interpid.

In the meantime, use the trick I am using:
Open for editing xorg.conf file:
gksu mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Found section:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"

and insert:

Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"

before the end of the section
(e.g. above "EndSection")

Restart X (ctrl+alt+backspace) or just logout and login or restart
and new Alt+Shift shortcut will work now. (You also can set some other
key combination that you prefer)

Old 12-26-2009, 07:30 PM
pch0317

Hi list
I have problem with changing my keyboadr layout.
I want to change it to polish, so I type 'dpkg-reconfigure
console-data' and choose 'qwert' and 'polish'.

But still I can't type my symbol.
What I can do?
I use Debian testing amd64.

Thanks

Old 12-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Celejar

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 20:30:27 +0000
pch0317 <pch0317@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list
> I have problem with changing my keyboadr layout.
> I want to change it to polish, so I type 'dpkg-reconfigure
> console-data' and choose 'qwert' and 'polish'.
> But still I can't type my symbol.
> What I can do?

I don't think that the change will take effect until you reboot /
restart X (or perhaps something else, but I'm not sure what). Have you
done either? Are you working at the console or under X?

Celejar

Old 12-27-2009, 08:54 AM
pch0317

Celejar wrote:

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 20:30:27 +0000
I have problem with changing my keyboadr layout.
I want to change it to polish, so I type 'dpkg-reconfigure
console-data' and choose 'qwert' and 'polish'.

But still I can't type my symbol.
What I can do?

I don't think that the change will take effect until you reboot /
restart X (or perhaps something else, but I'm not sure what). Have you
done either? Are you working at the console or under X?

Celejar

I have done either but nothing change.
Iwork rather X, but under console to

Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Hartwig Atrops

Hi.

On Saturday 26 December 2009 21:30, pch0317 wrote:
> Hi list
> I have problem with changing my keyboadr layout.
> I want to change it to polish, so I type 'dpkg-reconfigure
> console-data' and choose 'qwert' and 'polish'.
> But still I can't type my symbol.
> What I can do?
> I use Debian testing amd64.
>
> Thanks

On Debian 5.0 I did it this way (us-english to german):

X11: modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Option "XkbLayout" "us" -> "de"

textconsole: modify /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz

/usr/sbin/install-keymap does the job.You will find keymaps in
/usr/share/keymaps/...

Hope this helps.

Hartwig

Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat,26.Dec.09, 20:30:27, pch0317 wrote:
> Hi list
> I have problem with changing my keyboadr layout.
> I want to change it to polish, so I type 'dpkg-reconfigure
> console-data' and choose 'qwert' and 'polish'.
> But still I can't type my symbol.
> What I can do?
> I use Debian testing amd64.

Use 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration' and restart X

Regards,
Andrei

Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Anthony Baldwin

> > I have problem with changing my keyboadr layout.
> > I want to change it to polish, so I type
> 'dpkg-reconfigure
> > console-data' and choose 'qwert' and 'polish'.
> > But still I can't type my symbol.
> > What I can do?
> > I use Debian testing amd64.
>
> Use 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration' and restart

I just do
$ setxkbmap us intl

Then I have US Intl. keyboard layout (allows diacritical marks,
such as , , , etc., since I type in 4 languages, EN, ES, FR & PT).
I don't even have to restart X.

/tony
--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
translations & interpreting

http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
tcl yer os with a feather

Old 12-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,28.Dec.09, 06:35:07, Anthony Baldwin wrote:

> I just do
> $ setxkbmap us intl

Sure, but this won't survive a restart of X.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 12-28-2009, 04:24 PM
pch0317

Andrei Popescu wrote:

I have problem with changing my keyboadr layout.
I want to change it to polish, so I type 'dpkg-reconfigure
console-data' and choose 'qwert' and 'polish'.
But still I can't type my symbol.
What I can do?
I use Debian testing amd64.

Use 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration' and restart X

Regards,
Andrei

Yes, this help me under X
Thanks