Old 04-26-2008, 06:53 PM
jd hartland

Default Default image app

This is the first time I have ever joined a mailing list, so I hope I'm doing this right. I absolutely love Xubuntu and run it on a PC with specs that don't require a lightweight distro. But I wanna see it improve so I wanna be critical of it.

I just installed 8.04 and I was disappointed when I tried to open an image and was greeted by the Gimp splash screen. I don't think there's any reason in hell for the default app for opening images to be a professional image editing tool. I don't understand the logic of it when there is an image viewer installed by default. To be frank I'm annoyed that every time I install Xubuntu for anyone I'm going to have to remember to change this for them.

Seriously guys, why have the gimp as default?

Get fish-slapping on Messenger Play Now

Old 04-26-2008, 09:39 PM
George Brooke

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:53:07 +0100
jd hartland <jd_hartland@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This is the first time I have ever joined a mailing list, so I hope
> I'm doing this right. I absolutely love Xubuntu and run it on a PC
> with specs that don't require a lightweight distro. But I wanna see
> it improve so I wanna be critical of it.
>
> I just installed 8.04 and I was disappointed when I tried to open an
> image and was greeted by the Gimp splash screen. I don't think
> there's any reason in hell for the default app for opening images to
> be a professional image editing tool. I don't understand the logic of
> it when there is an image viewer installed by default. To be frank
> I'm annoyed that every time I install Xubuntu for anyone I'm going to
> have to remember to change this for them.
>
> Seriously guys, why have the gimp as default?

> Bag extra points with the Walkers Brit Trip Game
> http://www.walkersbrittrips.co.uk/game

I believe that there is already a launchpad bug about this

solar.george

Old 04-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Vincent

> This is the first time I have ever joined a mailing list, so I hope

> I'm doing this right. I absolutely love Xubuntu and run it on a PC

> with specs that don't require a lightweight distro. But I wanna see

> it improve so I wanna be critical of it.

> I just installed 8.04 and I was disappointed when I tried to open an

> image and was greeted by the Gimp splash screen. I don't think

> there's any reason in hell for the default app for opening images to

> be a professional image editing tool. I don't understand the logic of

> it when there is an image viewer installed by default. To be frank

> I'm annoyed that every time I install Xubuntu for anyone I'm going to

> have to remember to change this for them.

> Seriously guys, why have the gimp as default?

I believe that there is already a launchpad bug about this

Yep, it's at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-default-settings/+bug/220899

solar.george

Vincent