-   -   Orca and xfce (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/705294-orca-xfce.html)

James Freer 09-18-2012 09:48 PM

Orca and xfce

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:

Hello list,

i'm a blind user and I use the Orca screen reader. I've been working on
getting Orca to work with xfce. So far everything has been going really
well. So far I've been able to make the xfce desktop accessible along with
the xfce menu and other programs such as pidgin. Here is a problem that I'm
having. When I open firefox and thunderbird Orca can't read anything in these
programs. Using the gnome desktop both of these programs are very
accessible. So i'm not sure what I could be missing. I noticed that there is
a package firefox-gnome-support and this was already installed. I also
installed gedit and this application was accessible without having to do
anything to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This would be a big
boost for the blind community to have a light and fast desktop to use as an
alternative to Gnome. Thanks for your time and help.

I'm not an IT guru but reading the info on orca makes me wonder about your
settings. Orca has default settings and then also able to write scripts for
application specific. That is where i think the problem is... i'm sorry i can't
help further but i'm sympathetic as i used to work for the blind community and
my sister was a Guide Dog Instructor for many years.

You mentioned Firefox and Thunderbird. I used to use both applications and had
problems; Firefox always seem to run slow and Thunderbird slow for imap.
Thunderbird has had a number of technical problems but i haven't used it now for
two years - Alpine is old and well proven so it won me instantly. I switched to
xubuntu using Chrome browser and Alpine for mail - all seem to use less
resources and no problems.

james

Bruno Benitez 09-18-2012 09:50 PM

Orca and xfce

Johnatan, while you wait for a better response you could try alternative browers, like the xfce's project one Midori, you can also try Chromium?
--
Bruno.-

James Freer 09-18-2012 10:08 PM

Orca and xfce