-   -   Orca and xfce (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/705267-orca-xfce.html)

Jackson Doak 09-18-2012 08:34 PM

Orca and xfce

have you tried chromium or opera as the web browser? That might fix it.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Jonathan Nadeau <j.nadeau@charter.net> wrote:

Hello list,

i'm a blind user and I use the Orca screen reader. I've been working on getting Orca to work with xfce. So far everything has been *going really well. So far I've been able to make the xfce desktop accessible along with the xfce menu and other programs such as pidgin. Here is a problem that I'm having. When I open firefox and thunderbird Orca can't read anything in these programs. Using the gnome desktop both of these programs *are very accessible. So i'm not sure what I could be missing. I noticed that there is a package firefox-gnome-support and this was already installed. I also installed gedit and this application was accessible without having to do anything to it. Any help would be greatly *appreciated. This would be a big boost for the blind community to have a light and fast desktop to use as an alternative to Gnome. Thanks for your time and help.

Jonathan Nadeau 09-18-2012 09:00 PM

Orca and xfce

Sadly both of these browsers are not
accessible. really the only option right now is firefox. like I
said firefox on the Gnome desktop is very accessible. I just don't
know why the xfce desktop along with the menu is accessible. I've
also installed libreoffice and this is also accessible by default.
Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm not sure what is different
between firefox and* thunderbird and the rest of the OS. Again any
help would be highly appreciated. Thanks