-   -   Implementation of a mouse adaptor relevator (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/699851-implementation-mouse-adaptor-relevator.html)

Alessandro Yahoo 09-02-2012 08:14 AM

Implementation of a mouse adaptor relevator

Hello to everyone, it's a pleasure for me to post here and try to
contribute( just a few ) to this big and wonderful project.
My name is Alessandro Suglia and I just want to propose to you a simple
tool that this distro doesn't have, and I'm thinking about a specific
program which recognize that a mouse adaptor was inserted and after that
grant to you to choose which device do you want to use from that moment
ahead.
For example, in my case, if I'm using my notebook and I connect my
mouse device, I can still use the touchpad and I have to disable it from
the "Settings Panel".
I find it quite uncomfortable so I think that could be a good idea to
create a specific daemon which recognize this type of situation and
grant to the user the possibility to manage this kind of problem, giving
to him the possibility to switch directly from the panel, the device
that he wants to continue to use.

I hope that this will be a good start point for you and also, I hope
that this idea won't be useless.

Cheers,

Alessandro Suglia

Simon Steinbeiß 09-02-2012 09:19 AM

Implementation of a mouse adaptor relevator

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 10:14:24 +0200
Alessandro Yahoo <alessandro.suglia@yahoo.com> wrote:

> For example, in my case, if I'm using my notebook and I connect my
> mouse device, I can still use the touchpad and I have to disable it from
> the "Settings Panel".
> I find it quite uncomfortable so I think that could be a good idea to
> create a specific daemon which recognize this type of situation and
> grant to the user the possibility to manage this kind of problem, giving
> to him the possibility to switch directly from the panel, the device
> that he wants to continue to use.

Thunar's volume manager enables you to run a script or programme once a mouse gets connected (in the Settings Manager, go to "Removable drives and media", there to the "Input devices" tab).
So in a way all this needs is a script which enables/disables your touchpad depending on user-input, or (and I think that makes more sense) based on a preference. I guess there are hardly situations where you'd want to use the internal touchpad when you connect a mouse, but maybe that's just me :)

Cheers,
Simon

Alessandro Yahoo 09-02-2012 12:23 PM

[...]

I know that could be written some scripts in order to make this kind of
control, but I think that, will be a good way in order to help new
people to start using linux.
Many times, my father says to me that It's very fast linux and stable
but he isn't able to install program or do such thing that require some
knowledge of the bash or something else.
So, in my opinion, my request's aim was to introduce another element in
order to make xubuntu more user friendly and in order to grant also to
common people to use.

Is that a bad idea?

Alessandro Suglia

Jari Rahkonen 09-02-2012 02:05 PM

Implementation of a mouse adaptor relevator