-   -   Standard Syntax Musings (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/699752-standard-syntax-musings.html)

Pasi Lallinaho 09-01-2012 06:31 PM

Standard Syntax Musings

Hey Jack (also sending this to the Xubuntu developer mailing list where
issues like this can be worked on together),

The click/press -syntax you are proposing sounds good.

I believe that it is okay as long as we discriminate application names
and probably button names from the text. While we might need to repeat
"dialog" and "tab" in the text, it's not too often we will need to. With
dialogs, it's usually OK as long as we tell the user to do something in
the dialog that was opened. I haven't bumped in too many "tabs" in the
documentation, but maybe we should reconsider this when we are reviewing
the syntax some time next week.

At this stage, I think it is good enough if we can discriminate all
these things under consideration from the normal text. If that's the
case, it's easy enough to give them a special style, or not.

I'm not sure about field names: how many situations is there when we
need to tell the user to fill in a specific field, not just everything
in a dialog anyway?

I would not touch the font to make something stand out of the body text.
The only exception to this is the command etc. stuff; this is because 1)
terminals use monospace fonts by default 2) the user usually needs to
copy the command exactly correctly, and a monospace font has less
ambiguous characters.

Colors... Well, we can think about it, but I wouldn't use too many
colors. The current DocBook style actually already uses a different
style for application paths, which is blueish too.

Anybody else have ideas?

Pasi