-   -   Alternate images (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/698358-alternate-images.html)

Liviu Andronic 08-28-2012 09:07 AM

Alternate images

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> - We can create xubuntu-core (ala lubuntu-core) for less downloading stuff

I find the notion of an xubuntu-core selection of packages quite
interesting. This would allow users to install a minimum Xfce
environment, without the usual overhead of an Ubuntu installation.

Regards
Liviu

Bruno Benitez 08-28-2012 01:22 PM

Alternate images

It is starting to be clear that the decision of the core Ubuntu developers is to drop support of GTK2 stuff and go full to GTK3, this will cause a huge conflict between the Xfce developers to stick to GTK2.

Problems will start to arose soon, maybe not in this cycle, but very probably in the next one.

If Xubuntu plans to be a chosen option in the near future, if it plans to follow and gain some of the mainbuntu followers, we need to take a stand and chose, now, what kind of distro we want to be.

I am not a developer, I just go around bothering some people and helping some other. I come from a place where I firstly chose Xubuntu because my old machine would not boot any other usable OS. So this is actually a very hard decision for me, because the "its good for old specs" was what hooked me up to it.

But things change and we need to move with the times. I think that if mainbuntu is moving on, and if we want to keep a pace with them, while not having so many developers to work with, we can not lose time with problems related to something we sadly are not aiming anymore.

I think we should drop alternate ISOs and work toward making a better overall experience with Xubuntu.
--
Bruno.-

Brian Smith 08-28-2012 02:28 PM

Alternate images

Hey Team,

I agree that an xubuntu-core meta-package would be a great addition.
However if the Alternate images are droped, I think that not having the
ability to use RAID in xubuntu would be an embarrassment. RAID is too
broadly used.

--
Thanks,
Brian

On 08/27/2012 09:15 PM, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:

Hello Xubuntu developers,

Based on the original mail [1] by Steve Langasek, we have discussed
dropping/keeping alternate ISOs today. Pros and cons for dropping are
listed below, please reply if you have other things in mind.

PROS
- Less testing
- Less fixing broken alternate ISO (since Ubuntu will drop alternate,
it will probably break as often or more often than now)
- Optimal time to drop! (release after LTS, people who want alternate
can always use 12.04 until April 2014 and then upgrade...)

CONS
- No RAID for 12.10 with desktop (but LVM/cryptsetup should work in
Quantal desktop ISOs)
- If graphical installer doesn't work, you have to use minimal [2] or
other options (like netboot) [3]
- No LTSP
- Can't install with desktop with less memory (see: notice about SD)

Other things worth mentioning are:
- Our Strategy Document doesn't imply we are targetting old computers
- We need to write a tutorial for using minimal (+apt-offline)
- We can create xubuntu-core (ala lubuntu-core) for less downloading stuff

Cheers,
Pasi

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-August/035675.html
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
[3] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Pasi Lallinaho 08-28-2012 06:46 PM

Alternate images

The Xubuntu team is discussing the possibility for xubuntu-core, but
that might not happen for 12.10, maybe 13.04.

You will be able to install RAID with the desktop installer later, but
not in 12.10, since that's not yet implemented to Ubiquity. Releases
starting from maybe 13.04 or 13.10 will most probably have RAID support.

Meanwhile, users willing to install RAID can always use the 12.04
alternate images and upgrade, or use other methods like netboot or minimal.

Steve Langasek also said in his original email [1] that RAID is used by
0.8% of desktop users by rough analysis. That doesn't sound like "too
broadly used" that we couldn't afford to go one or two releases without it

Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu http://shimmerproject.org/