Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 AM
Pasi Lallinaho

Default Alternate images

Hello Xubuntu developers,

Based on the original mail [1] by Steve Langasek, we have discussed
dropping/keeping alternate ISOs today. Pros and cons for dropping are
listed below, please reply if you have other things in mind.

PROS
- Less testing
- Less fixing broken alternate ISO (since Ubuntu will drop alternate,
it will probably break as often or more often than now)
- Optimal time to drop! (release after LTS, people who want alternate
can always use 12.04 until April 2014 and then upgrade...)

CONS
- No RAID for 12.10 with desktop (but LVM/cryptsetup should work in
Quantal desktop ISOs)
- If graphical installer doesn't work, you have to use minimal [2] or
other options (like netboot) [3]
- No LTSP
- Can't install with desktop with less memory (see: notice about SD)

Other things worth mentioning are:
- Our Strategy Document doesn't imply we are targetting old computers
- We need to write a tutorial for using minimal (+apt-offline)
- We can create xubuntu-core (ala lubuntu-core) for less downloading stuff

Cheers,
Pasi

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-August/035675.html
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD