Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 PM
"Scott Moore"

Default Shrink Quantal ISO?

Can this be done by offering an alternate ISO that is somewhat stripped down
so that we can still use a CD? Would it make any difference to remove
language packs and office software (which can always be downloaded later
on). Or, even better, make an iso that will install a base OS and then
demand an internet connection to get the rest?

If we don't, we can forget about anyone installing on an old PC, where
Xubuntu normally makes a great alternative to Windows and other Linux
distros.

Scott M
Dallas, TX

Old 08-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 08/26/2012 02:52 AM, Scott Moore wrote:
> Can this be done by offering an alternate ISO that is somewhat
> stripped down so that we can still use a CD? Would it make any
> difference to remove language packs and office software (which can
> always be downloaded later on). Or, even better, make an iso that will
> install a base OS and then demand an internet connection to get the rest?
>
> If we don't, we can forget about anyone installing on an old PC, where
> Xubuntu normally makes a great alternative to Windows and other Linux
> distros.
>
> Scott M
> Dallas, TX

We are looking at shrinking all the Quantal ISOs to fit CD's.

Cheers,
Pasi

Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 08-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 08/26/2012 03:06 AM, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> On 08/26/2012 02:52 AM, Scott Moore wrote:
>> Can this be done by offering an alternate ISO that is somewhat
>> stripped down so that we can still use a CD? Would it make any
>> difference to remove language packs and office software (which can
>> always be downloaded later on). Or, even better, make an iso that will
>> install a base OS and then demand an internet connection to get the rest?
>>
>> If we don't, we can forget about anyone installing on an old PC, where
>> Xubuntu normally makes a great alternative to Windows and other Linux
>> distros.
>>
>> Scott M
>> Dallas, TX
>>

> We are looking at shrinking all the Quantal ISOs to fit CD's.
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi

And yeah, there's always the minimal CD [1].

Pasi

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM