Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Rich Dennis

Default Documentation; GO!

On 08/29/2012 01:37 AM, Pasi Lallinaho
wrote:

On 08/29/2012 01:35 AM, Rich Dennis
wrote:

On 08/01/2012 04:10 PM, Pasi
Lallinaho wrote:

Hello
Xubuntu documentation enthusiasts!

It's time
for the next step in the documentation rewrite. Those who
signed up as Writers or Technical

Editors, it's
time for you to shine! Soon, Grammar

Editors can
chime in too!

There
are few things we need to get sorted out next. These are
listed underneath. The roles in the parenthesis mean the
primary groups that should undertake these tasks, but you
can help out even if you didn't list in that group too.

What we
need to do now is:
– Copy
the current documentation to the wiki (Everybody,

where applicable)
– Review
the documentation structure (Technical

Editors)
** – Is
the documentation structure good, or should we reorganize?
(Technical

Editors)
** – Do we
have any redundant information in the documentation? (Technical

Editors)
** – Should
we add something else to the documentation? (Technical

Editors)
– Does
the documentation match the current state or applications?
(Technical

Editors)
** – If not;
rewrite the section and once the sections are rewritten,
check them for grammar errors (Writers, Grammar

Editors)
** – If yes;
make sure it's clearly written and check for possible
grammar errors (Grammar

Editors)

We
have put together a temporary wiki for this work to be
done on here: http://dagobah.princessleia.com/Xubuntu. We've
set up a few sections as examples on how to add the
content to the wiki. Follow the examples, or if you think
you can do it better, feel free to!

Please
don't be shy
about starting edits, but keep in mind that this is
collaborative so you will want to coordinate with other
documentation writers on the xubuntu-devel mailing list
when discussing deletions or major changes to sections.
You may also consider splitting up "ownership" of the
sections so only one person is working on them at once,
that's up to you – the
docs team!

The
original documentation can be found in Docbook format at https://code.launchpad.net/xubuntu-docs (useful
for those who want to learn Docbook – those who signed up
as Docbook Editors). If you're scared of Docbook, you can
also use the offline menu in your installation; just
navigatie to Help in the applications menu and
it will bring up the documentation in a web browser.

Finally,

please note that Xubuntu does not currently have
Documentation Lead, which means we're feeling our way here
and just beginning to build up what
the documentation
infrastructure and the conventions are. Suggestions

welcome!
(Eventually, we might pick a Documentation Lead if there
is people willing and able to take that position.)

However,

if any kind of questions or disputes arise, you are very
welcome to send email to the xubuntu-devel mailing list.
Ultimately, there are two people resolving disputes and
other issues; Pasi Lallinaho, the Project Lead and
Elizabeth Krumbach, the Marketing Lead.

Please

note that
it's summer time in the northern hemisphere so we have a
lot of project members traveling and generally just having
holidays in the coming weeks and we don't want anyone
feeling held up because they didn't get a response.

Cheers,

Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu »*http://shimmerproject.org/

Went on #xubuntu-devel this morning. Don't think that I have
what it takes to do Docbook rewrites, but if you need any
writers or grammar editors, I would very much like to
contribute.

Thanks. rd - amerigena

Help with writing and that stuff is welcome too! See the first
part of my last mail [1] for a quick introduction to the current
situation and you are ready to start working.

Cheers,

Pasi

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2012-August/008392.html

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) » http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu »*http://shimmerproject.org/
Graphic artist, webdesigner, Ubuntu member » http://xubuntu.org/

Thank you. Got started last night on the Network ->
Troubleshooting section of the wiki.

Didn't make too many changes - thought that I'd start slow and make
sure that they're acceptable.

Thanks for getting back to me.

amerigena

Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Jack Fromm

On 08/29/2012 06:56 AM, Rich Dennis
[...]

Rich,

Thanks for joining the effort. You picked a good place to start! :-)
I just want to give you and others a heads up about that section and
two others under Section 5: Connecting and Home Networks.* Those
sections in the 11.10 offline documentation had a lot of embedded
links and other special stuff that the wiki did not like.* When I
tried copying them to the wiki, I kept getting "unhandled exception"
errors.* It took so long to find the offending parts of the
documents that I gave up and copied them over as plain text.* That
means those three sections are going to require a lot more work than
all the others.* First, they need to be completely reformatted; and
second, they are long and have a lot of specific instructions that
will need to be checked to see if they are still accurate or
relevant in Quantal.

Those sections need so much work that I'm afraid they might hold the
whole project up. If anyone else knows a better way of attacking
them, even starting from scratch or figuring out how to copy the
formatted text over again without errors, feel free.

I gather that the goal of this rewrite is to streamline and simplify
the old documentation.* My approach (I signed up as a Writer and
Grammar Checker, not a Technical Editor) has been to copy over the
old documents, check them for accuracy against the Quantal changes,
reword and reformat as necessary and then leave it up to the
Technical Editors and project leads to decide what they want to
rearrange and/or strip out.

That's why I see those sections taking so much work. Somebody else
might want to take a different approach.

Regards,

Jack