Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Elizabeth Krumbach

Default Problem creating a custom iso based on Xubuntu 12.04

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am one of the developers of the OSGeoLive project
> http://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html
>
> We are using Xubuntu as a base to build a custom distro and for our next
> release (due in 10 days) we have ported to 12.04 code base.
>
> The problem:
>
> We used to create our iso with remastersys (backup/dist methods) and we have
> decided to switch to a new method based on the official ubuntu wiki for
> creating a custom iso. The script for this new method is here:
> https://gist.github.com/2838416
>
> We are facing a strange behaviour in all the above methods with 12.04. After
> installing successfully the iso on VirtualBox, during the first boot we get
> a message about not being able to mount /run, / , /tmp, /run/lock,
> /run/shm, and finally the UUID of the hard drive. This happens with chroot
> build method of the iso, and same with remastersys, so we think it must be
> something not related to remastersys.
>
> Any ideas about this?
>
> The iso files to test are here:
> http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/6.0/
>
> The alternate iso is the one not made by remastersys.

I spoke with you briefly in channel yesterday, I'm not really a formal
dev but didn't want to leave you hanging here.

It looks like much of your script is very similar to many of the steps
defined on: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

Have you reviewed this to see if there are discrepancies that may be
accounting for the failure?

I'll give it a try this evening (west coast US) to see what I can come up with.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com

Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Angelos Tzotsos

[...]

Hi Elizabeth,

You are right that most of the steps are from LiveCDCustomization wiki
page. I am wondering if those are tested for 12.04 and/or Xubuntu.

After some searching in logs I think this has to do with lightdm: gvfs
is mounted in the lightdm /var/lib folder

Looking more into this...

Cheers,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory

Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Angelos Tzotsos

[...]

Hi,

This is the error I am getting after completing the LiveCDCustomization
instructions and after installing the new iso:

http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/owncloud/public.php?service=files&token=a361093bd36debbd157 827b17b296b045fb0e991&file=/error-lightdm.jpeg

The scripts used to do the installation are located here:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/build_chroot.sh
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/inchroot.sh

We are creating a "user" during chroot to be able to install stuff to
postgres and some other desktop stuff and then we move those to /etc/skel

I also noticed that after installation the guest account can actually
log in and works fine.

Perhaps we have an issue with the custom casper.conf we create?
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/app-conf/casper.conf
or this?
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/app-conf/README.diskdefines

Thoughts?