Old 07-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Craig Cooper

Default Hard lockups. Any improvement?

Hi all. I am using Xubuntu 12.04 precise on my Dell Inspiron N5110.
Core i7 Sandy Bridge Mobile, Optimus (NVIDIA) laptop.

Using *any* official kernel, the computer will lock up entirely at
random, with no access to other consoles.

A few sources have pointed the finger of blame on the Intel graphics driver.

Some people have found relief with kernel arguments or by installing
the Liquorix kernel.

Before I go to the trouble of building and installing another kernel,
does anyone know of a foolproof fix for this?

PS. Everything, and I mean ALL hardware is working PERFECTLY
otherwise, which is a first for new laptops and any Linux distro
(since I used Slackintosh 12.1 on my 2001 iBook).

I know this is probably not the right forum to ask this, and I know
this is a documented bug in 12.04, but I have exhausted all other
avenues. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

CC.