Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 AM
m sreekant

Default User Account Corruption after X Server upgrdae

I have a wonderful, functioning Xubuntu system. I updated the X Server after I received a notification. After update, the normal Xubuntu login screen was not available. I decided to purge and reinstall X Server. I issued the following command:
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
*
This solved the login screen issue but I was now not able to login using my normal account. I could login using Guest User account only.
I logged-in as the Guest User and went to the User Account Maagement utility. I could see my normal account listed there. I deleted it and chose to save the files in the /home/{normal account}. I re-cretaed the account.
I can now login and I have all my files intact etc...
*
My questions are as under:
1) Is it not dangerous to allow a Guest User to manage User details?(A malicious user may have deleted my files too!)
2) Is there any other proper way to rectify the user account issues?
3) Should this behaviour be termed as a bug and looked into seriously by the Xubuntu team?

MSIYER