Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Benedek Imre

Default IDEA: Integrate Catfish into Thunar

Hi Guys,

What do You think about if we integrate Catfish into Thunar (if it's possible technically)?

Why have I tought about it?
I think file managing and search for files are tipical OS level tasks and they have to be accessed from the same place.
I know there is Ctrl+F (it's got a bit limited function and cannot substitute a 'real' file finder) in Thunar, and I know Catfish is integrated into the right-click menu also (through custom actions - if I know well).
But
1. The right-click menu usually offers such functions, which can be accessed from the main menu structure of the application.
2. To open a standalone application to find a file - I think it is not an elegant solution.
3. We should help users who want to switch from Windows or MacOS (both of them have elegantly integrated file finder).

Just a proposal about the look:
http://ubuntuone.com/1cVUtKaKXZNTMWdDa9o3xp

You should know I'm a newbie in Xubuntu-dev, I'm not a programmer just an 'average user' (otherwise I'm a graphic designer) - so if You've talked about this or this kind of topic yet, or it's technically impossible, just forget my idea. I know finalizing the next release is the most important recently - but not my ideas. :-)

Old 07-07-2012, 10:12 PM
nairb

thunar's included custom action "Find in this folder" already has an
example of this in your right click menu... to see how its done go to
thunars "edit" menu, and click "Configure custom actions", and edit the
custom action to view/edit the actions's command string

Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 PM
nairb

Old 07-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Benedek Imre

Yes, I know it - Thank You for your answer.
Actually I've just wrote about HOW it is integrated.
To include search function in right-click menu is absolutely useful. But an average user (means he/she has no knowledge of Xubuntu/Xfce, or he/she comes from Windows or MacOS in my interpretation) usually don't look for 'search' in the right-click menu but in the menu structure of file manager or in the window of file manager (I mean look for an input field for example).
I remember when I've logged in first time to Xubuntu, it was a bit hard to find the search function, on the one hand because the 'Catfish' name is a bit misleading (tells nothing about its function), on the other hand because I did not use right-click for search so far.
In addition - when I right click on a file/folder, I expect tipical file management options in right-click menu, such as copy/move, rename, delete, set properties etc. But as I've written above, it's OK if search is accessible from here - but the right place for search is the file menu of Thunar, I think.
"To open a standalone application to find a file - I think it is not an elegant solution." - especially if we have to find it between lots of applications in Xubuntu's main menu, furthermore its name is misleading. But if we use a standalone application, it has to be named clearly and has to be accessed from the most adequate place(s).
Just look at the solutions of 'big guns' - both of Windows and MacOS X have an elegantly integrated file finder. We have to admit what is good it's good.

I think there are more potential solutions to have an elegantly integrated, easy to access search/find option - but the actual one is not the best.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Joshua Branson

*** I think its a great idea to have a
"Find button" that would open up catfish in that folder.

*** In fact I had no idea I could access catfish from Thunar until
you guys told me I could. Thanks for the *** tip!

Old 07-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Benedek Imre

Hi Guys,

I've just elaborated a very easy to do proposed solution about this 'search thing' - what do You think about?

To integrate Catfish into Thunar is a bit complicated I think so forget it, leave Catfish as a standalone application and use it, but:

1. Rename it to 'File Finder' (as I wrote before its name tells nothing about its function). Move it close to Application Finder in Accessories (You can do it easily by Main Menu Editor). I think Application Finder and File Finder is a nice unit with clear names.

2. Insert File Finder into Thunar's File menu (it could simply launch File Finder as a standalone app in the actual folder). It needs to picking the code of Thunar, only programmers can do it.

I think this solution is really easy to do, does not need big developments, but has got advantages: clear for everybody, accessible from most adequate places.

See the mockup:
http://ubuntuone.com/1aQxStk30agDyA5WqOwKFU